650L -what's this casting for?

6 replies to this topic
  • CheGuevara

Posted March 05, 2005 - 07:35 PM

I had planned on posting a small pic of this but apparently I can't?

Anyhow on the rocker cover of the 650L (when viewing the motor from the front) there are 2 cylindrical castings (side by side) immediately to the front and right of the motor mount. One has a bore in it but is blocked at the bottom, the other appears to be solid all the way through. Anyone know what these are a provision for?

Thanks,
-Mike

OK got the pic thing sorted -these are the 2 castings I'm refering to -outlined in the red box:

Posted Image

• hoptup

Posted March 05, 2005 - 07:38 PM

I think the one on the left is for the oil line and the right one is for the emissions tube---I could be wrong-

• CheGuevara

Posted March 05, 2005 - 07:44 PM

An additional oil line? Because the way it's cast there's nothing that will passing through it without drilling. There is a provision for a line on the left side of the motor mount, but I'm wondering about the 2 castings on the right side (as viewed from the front of the bike).

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • hoptup

Posted March 05, 2005 - 07:49 PM

I am looking it up in my clymers guide I'll let you know what I find

• hoptup

Posted March 05, 2005 - 08:02 PM

I think you might be looking at the rocker arm access "plugs" Older bikes seem to have a decompression lever and spring assembly, in that area- hope that helped.

• CheGuevara

Posted March 06, 2005 - 02:57 PM

It is, thanks. I wondered if it might have something to do with a manual decomp. Anyone know if it's possible to retro-fit a manual decomp to the XRL? I have a big-bore high-comp kit, and with the addition of an aftermarket cam (losing the auto-decomp) I'm concerned it may be a bit much for the electric starter.

• CheGuevara

Posted March 06, 2005 - 04:37 PM

Pic added at the top now.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  171 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.