need advice fellow TTer's

8 replies to this topic
  • mayday

Posted March 05, 2005 - 07:30 PM

Hey I Dropped a valve in my 02 426 and the motor is trashed. I just dropped 5 bens on new chain sprockets,clutch plates, wiesco piston etc. What would you do find a 02 426 or a new 450 and why? I figured an 02 426 so I can swap my scott's dampner and triple clamp and all my new goodies. :) :)

• smokin529

Posted March 05, 2005 - 07:53 PM

Why can't you re-build your motor? If the cylinder is trashed, Eric Gorr has exchange cylinders w/piston kits for a reasonable price. Your triple clamp won't work on a '04 450 because the fork tubes are bigger.

• mayday

Posted March 05, 2005 - 08:05 PM

when the valve dropped it messed up my head and cylinder

• John_Lorenz

Posted March 05, 2005 - 08:34 PM

Hey I Dropped a valve in my 02 426 and the motor is trashed. I just dropped 5 bens on new chain sprockets,clutch plates, wiesco piston etc. What would you do find a 02 426 or a new 450 and why? I figured an 02 426 so I can swap my scott's dampner and triple clamp and all my new goodies. :) :)

That depends on what you wish to do, MX or woods and how goo dyou are

I mean the later in a plain way.

Will you benifit form going to a 450?

or are you as fast on the 426?

personally I like the 426, the 450 is nice, but

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cowboyona426

Posted March 07, 2005 - 12:12 PM

I would rebuilt it if it were mine. The parts will be expensive, but not as much as a new bike and it will be just as fun.

• grayracer513

Posted March 07, 2005 - 12:55 PM

Plan A would be to try to find another cylinder head on E-Bay or elsewhere (This guy might have one ), and rebuild it. A whole new cylinder costs less than most bore and replate jobs. But, you should have the crank redone, too, since the impact of chewing on the valve may have slammed a few dents in the big end.

Other options would be to buy another '02, or an '03 450 (a lot of your stuff will fit, including your clamp), or a newer one.

Tough decision.

• Indy_WR450

Posted March 07, 2005 - 01:44 PM

You are better off rebuilding her and getting another 3 - 4 years out of her. Drop $2,000 - $2,500 in her and rebuild her right!

new clutch baskets
new countershaft bearing and seals
new water pump shaft and seals
new crank ( cam chain sprocket wears and hooks)
new cam chain and tensioner
new engine gasket kit
new jug
new piston (make her a 450) & rod
replace the valves, springs and guides and get a port job on the head.

It will run as good as a new 450 and it will end up costing you less in the long run! :)

• mayday

Posted March 07, 2005 - 02:47 PM

thanks all I found a 02 426 that is in awsome shape barely riden for about the same amount to rebuild mine. So that is the way I am going. But I will keep a look out for parts and put it back together with time. Then I will have 2-02 426 to ride. I need a bike soon I got a race this Sat. Thanks fellow TTer's for your inputs :)

• MXof21

Posted March 07, 2005 - 02:49 PM

I had great luck parting out a 2002 YZ250F when my engine blew. I saved what I could and sold the rest off as a partial payment on a 2003 YZ450F. I just listed everything here on TT and sold just about all of it for the price I asked, I think I asked about 25% of the replacement cost.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.