Installing aluminum throttle sleeve

5 replies to this topic
  • snmhanson

Posted March 04, 2005 - 07:22 PM

I just put new bars (Tag double wall) on my bike and I have new grips and a Works Connection aluminum throttle sleeve to put on as well. Usually I'd just have at it but since I dropped fricken $40 on this piece of metal (should have asked how much before I ordered it) I thought I'd get some advice. First off, the throttle sleeve doesn't have an end cap or anything as far as I can tell so it looks like to be able to put on handguards I just need to saw the end off and then file any sharp edges down. Is this correct or is there a different way to do it? Second, should I put on my grips before or after I cut the end off? If I put them on before I cut it then I have the end on to ensure I won't get any glue between the throttle sleeve and the bars. However, it seems easier to cut the throttle sleeve accurately without any grips on and I would be less likely to mess up the grip when cutting as well. I thought about putting the grips on the throttle sleeve when it is off the bike but the grips have a palm pad so I would like to have everything lined up on the bike when I put the grips on. I know this is really a pretty simple thing to do but if I mess it up it is a waste of over $50. Any recommendations, especially concerning the Works throttle sleeve? Thanks.

Matt

• basicblues

Posted March 04, 2005 - 08:01 PM

I have the White Brothers throttle sleeve which I probably wouldn't recommend because it does have a closed end. I have a mounted grinder so I used the side of a grinder wheel and held the throttle end to it and only took off enough metal so I could knock the end out of the throttle then I used a file to smooth the edges.

If it were me, I would mount the grips with the throttle tube on the bike especially if you have grips that need to be mounted in a particular direction. Trying to mount and cut the throttle tube off the bike will likely lead to a hell of a mess :) . If you do get glue between the throttle tube and handlebars you can at the very least remove the throttle tube and clean it up with solvent.

Good Luck :)

• snmhanson

Posted March 04, 2005 - 08:13 PM

Thanks for the reply. So do you mean you would mount the tube and put the grips on and then take it off to cut/grind it (with the grips on)? Or would you cut the tube, and then mount it on the bike and mount the grips with the tube already cut?

Another thought I just had as I was typing this is to find a drill bit that is the same diameter as the inside of the throttle sleeve and drill the end off from the inside. Then I wouldn't have to worry about making a shitty cut on the throttle tube and the end would fit over the bar. Any thoughts on how that would work? Funny how the simplest thing can (and always does for me) turn into a major hassle.

Maybe I'll just end up sticking with my plastic throttle sleeve and use this metal one as a, um... ...hotdog holder.

Matt

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Indy_WR450

Posted March 04, 2005 - 08:22 PM

Put the unit in a drill press and drill a 3/4" diameter hole on the end. Clean and deburr. Mount the throttle tube to your handle bar with a light coating of heavy grease and check the function of throttle. Then after all is OK cut a 5/8" dia hole in the end of your grip and glue it to the tube. Use WD40 to ease mounting of grip. :)

• Dual_Dog

Posted March 04, 2005 - 08:33 PM

I just put new bars (Tag double wall) on my bike and I have new grips and a Works Connection aluminum throttle sleeve to put on as well...I thought I'd get some advice. First off, the throttle sleeve doesn't have an end cap or anything as far as I can tell so it looks like to be able to put on handguards I just need to saw the end off and then file any sharp edges down. Is this correct or is there a different way to do it?

If the opening in end of the throttle tube is smaller than the handlebar opening, cut the end off. I'd install the tube on the bars extending beyond the bar end about an inch and then cut the very end off. Then take it off & clean out the shavings. Then I'd put a micro thin film of grease on the throttle side of the bars and reinstall the throttle tube and housing. I don't like any metal to metal contact.

Second, should I put on my grips before or after I cut the end off?

After. You don't need to coat the sleeve with grip glue. Just put enough on and twist the grip as you slide it on. Wipe off the excess glue that squeezes out near the housing.

However, it seems easier to cut the throttle sleeve accurately without any grips on and I would be less likely to mess up the grip when cutting as well.

Yes. Much less likely.

I would like to have everything lined up on the bike when I put the grips on.

I'd put the grips on after the throttle is installed and you're sure everything is working right. You can even cut the end of the grip with a razor knife after it's installed on the throttle tub.

I know this is really a pretty simple thing to do but if I mess it up it is a waste of over $50. Any recommendations, especially concerning the Works throttle sleeve? Thanks.Matt

Nothing wrong with taking your time and doing it right (the first time!) :)

• mountainriderWR400F

Posted March 04, 2005 - 09:39 PM

Might sound silly but old school way also was to put a nickle in the grip before you put it on this way if you lean your bike up against anything or take a digger than the bar will not break through the grip

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.