My new 99 XR650L -- few questions

14 replies to this topic
  • true

Posted March 04, 2005 - 06:43 PM

Hello, after more than a year of searching, I finally got the XR650L I wanted. I ended up picking up a 99 w/ 2012 miles -- this thing is a beast. :)

I also have a few questions as well. The bike starts up fine and sounds great, but off idle, or from low acceleration, it seems to 'stumble', or hesitate a bit. If I zing the throttle a few times it doesn't really follow the grip twist accurately (if you know what I mean). If I am switching gears, and gun it right after a shift, it bogs, and has even died a few times. I already took the carb out and disassembled the bottom/bowl/float area, and everything looked nice and clean. I checked the main jet, and there is definitely a 152 in there -- so I am assuming it is stock. Bike ran the exact same way after carb reinstall, and fresh tank of gas. The idle was also very very low when I got it. I turned that up quite a bit, but still a bog/hesitation. I am waiting on a tachometer to do the factory idle/mixture procedure, but I'm not so sure this is the problem. I'm going to be checking valve lash tomorrow.

Anyone have any idea what could be causing this? Thanks!

Here are a few pictures:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

-true

• Dual_Dog

Posted March 04, 2005 - 07:55 PM

Is there an aftermarket air filter installled & is the snorkle gone? If so, go with a larger pilot jet like a 55. Set the idle per specs, too. Too low and it'll tend to stall out. You can tell by how the motor sounds if you don't have a tach.

Drill the vacuum slide & shim the jet needle (do a search here) & the stock CV carb will perform much better. Change out the stock anchor of an exhaust system, if just for the weight savings alone. Add some air to the forks, about 5 psi, especially since there is larger tank installed.

• true

Posted March 04, 2005 - 08:27 PM

Thanks for your response. I'm checking out the airbox, and I don't see a 'snorkel', so maybe it is removed. I just got the shop manual, and still don't see a snorkel...do you have any pictures showing what I should be looking for? I did see the carb mods/re-jet stuff, but since I don't know what the previous owner 'really' did, I just want to get it running like it should stock, then take it from there. Thanks again!

Nick

• Dual_Dog

Posted March 04, 2005 - 08:48 PM

It's a black rectangular plastic collar in the airbox opening that's held in place by two visible rivets. You'll know it when you see it. I sticks down inside and basically reduces the size of the opening. Removing it allows more air flow and can cause off-idle bogging or stumbling which usually means installing a larger pilot jet.

Also try adjusting the pilot screw underneath the carb. You can even do that now. Count how many turns it takes to lightly seat it and then back it out the same amount of turns plus 1/2 turn more. If you end up more than 3.5 turns out, you'll definitely need upsize the pilot jet. Takes a little bit of trial and error. :)

Does it have an aftermarket air filter?

• Hayden

Posted March 04, 2005 - 09:13 PM

I just did the Carb mods this week and rode it tonight. Jets are 55/160, shimmed the needle, drilled the slide, cut the tab off the screw so you can turn it. Running a full WB exhaust, 9 disks and a K&N filter. My snorkle is still in place. The bike runs great and no stumble at all off the bottom end. Even if you wack on it in any gear. :) Im very happy with the carb changes.

Sir Hayden

94 L

• true

Posted March 04, 2005 - 09:22 PM

Thanks, I'm pretty sure I have a stock snorkel and filter. Is the snorkel the very short air inlet on the top of the box in the following pic: ?

Posted Image

Also, here is the filter -- looks like the same on the book:

Posted Image

The airbox/snorkel must not be the problem...I would do the carb mods, but not until after I have it running like new. There is no way the bike should die with a quick blip when switching gears...hrm, any other ideas? Thanks everyone!

- true

• don87xr600

Posted March 04, 2005 - 10:09 PM

If it ran good when it was new there wouldn't be carb mods now would there?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • true

Posted March 04, 2005 - 10:16 PM

Don, of course there would be carb mods even if it ran perfectly smooth from the factory.

I refuse to believe a brand new bike form Honda stumbles/bogs to the point of dying when twisting the throttle quick.

• justicedone

Posted March 04, 2005 - 11:26 PM

Don, of course there would be carb mods even if it ran perfectly smooth from the factory.

I refuse to believe a brand new bike form Honda stumbles/bogs to the point of dying when twisting the throttle quick.

Am I missing something? Not trying to sound like a smart ass, but its certainly not new anymore and you never know what a previous owner messed with. I would do the baja designs jetting dyno mod on carb, add a good Big Gun, FMF-Q, or WB pipe and air filter with snorkel removal.

Should be set, but check valve lash and clearance since you got 2k+ mi.

• Dual_Dog

Posted March 05, 2005 - 06:51 AM

Did you adjust the pilot screw yet? Back it out 1/2 turn, ride it and see what happens. If it's worse, screw it it 1 full turn and see how it rides. This way you can better diagnose the problem.

These bikes are set really lean from the factory. Fine tuning and adjustments are needed to keep it running right. It takes some trial and error. There is no magic formula.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted March 05, 2005 - 07:05 AM

True, I'm over on the 4strokes site as well, and posted the link there to the standard mods.
The XRL is indeed jetted pathetically lean to please the enviro-nutsies, and the standard-mods are pretty much required for good driveability.

Dave

• true

Posted March 05, 2005 - 08:58 AM

Hi Dave, thanks a lot. I came across your article a few times previously. I will definitely do the mods, but I want to get it running like stock first (not die under throttle), before doing any mods. Like justiceone stated, no, I can't be 100% sure the previous owner didn't do any mods, but I took apart the carb and can confirm the slow and main jets are at least stock (50 and 152). Before I do the carb mods, I wanted to find out why it dies, and make it run like stock first; before possibly covering another problem up. I have been a Honda vehicle owner for many years, and have modded my own personal fully built turbocharger CRX to the hills. Posted Image I am not against modifications in the least, I just want to make sure there aren't any underlying problems before I go modding it. Honda engineers are very well known for their 'green' engineering, so I would expect them to sacrifice some power and a little throttle response for the environment. I don't, however, think they would make a bike from the factory that bogs as bad as mine.

Per Dual Dog, yes, I have done quite a bit of adjusting with the idle mixture screw, and while I got the idle quite a bit better, it's still bogging when twisting the throttle, even in gear under load. I have a sendec induction tach on the way so I can follow the idle/mixture procedure exactly, but in the meantime will do some playing around with it. Thanks everyone for their comments, if anyone has any other idea let me know.

• hoptup

Posted March 05, 2005 - 07:00 PM

I would check to see if the gas tank is breathing properly, then check for the right plug and heat range. I know being so few miles says alot but you would be suprised at some things people mess with.
Pull off the gas cap use a clean rag or something you see fit to be safe to cover the hole (to make sure the tank is breathing properly) and rev the motor, if the bike sat alot mud dobbers are hell.
If the baffle is out and it has the factory jets it will stumble also.

Gas left in the carb for a long period will screw it up also, even if it appears to be clean. Eldebrock has bad ass carbs for your bike.I think your problem is carb/air related

That stock filter might be and probably is the original, replace that with a uni-filter anyway-(i heard k/n lets in dirt particles)

• XR650L_Dave

Posted March 06, 2005 - 06:35 AM

True, running like crap IS stock, believe it or not! I was exceedingly disappointed until I did the mods. It'll be harder to diagnose any potential problem with it set to stock, whereas with the mods, its a proven combo from which to baseline.

Dave

• Hammer70

Posted April 24, 2011 - 06:18 PM

It's a black rectangular plastic collar in the airbox opening that's held in place by two visible rivets. You'll know it when you see it. I sticks down inside and basically reduces the size of the opening. Removing it allows more air flow and can cause off-idle bogging or stumbling which usually means installing a larger pilot jet.

Also try adjusting the pilot screw underneath the carb. You can even do that now. Count how many turns it takes to lightly seat it and then back it out the same amount of turns plus 1/2 turn more. If you end up more than 3.5 turns out, you'll definitely need upsize the pilot jet. Takes a little bit of trial and error. :thumbsup:

Does it have an aftermarket air filter?

Wow, dont I feel like a f'ing idiot! :cheers: So I've recently purchased an '07 XR650L and immediately made several mods, including an XR's only pipe and jet kit, Uni filter, smog removal, etc. Have neen having issues ever since with no idea why. So I'm reading thru here and see your "snorkel removal comment". Well, I de-snorkel her and presto, it is running like a champ! Thank you! Once again, I cant believe I forgot to do that!, as this is my second XR650L! :thumbsup:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.