Could some one recommend a tire combo...

11 replies to this topic
  • Evilfirbolg

Posted March 04, 2005 - 11:06 AM

...for mostly street and occasional trail. I ride almost 90% street. I've uncorked my 2005 XR650L and love the performance and sound. Exiting corners now is a total blast, but the stock tires, which are getting worn out anyway, are treacherous. Any suggestions for a good combo that warms up and slides nice? But that I can still take down some moderate trails, mostly fire roads and single track? That wears well? Is that asking too much of a tire. I have been suggested the IRC GP and the Kendas, any more opinions? Thanks.

• bikemadtim

Posted March 04, 2005 - 11:41 AM

Avon Distanzas

Great for mainly road but give the option with coping with a bit of off road too.

Or Bridgestone trailwings.

Or get yourself a pair of 17" road wheels and tyres.

• Evilfirbolg

Posted March 04, 2005 - 12:50 PM

yeah I was hoping to one day build up a set of 17inchers but in the meantime, and for far less cash, I'll go compare the Avons. So far the IRCs "look" the best, any one have any experience with them? My bike came stock with the Trail Wings, they ain't too good offroad but don't entirely suck on thr street, seem be a bit jerky in the corners, like they never warm up. I was just wonderin' if someone made a tire that was a bit more "sporty". I know we're talkin' knobbies so I ain't expecting miracles, just curious as to what folks run for that type of riding, ya know, more toward the 'tard end of super mo'tard

• hoptup

Posted March 05, 2005 - 07:27 PM

I have a metzler sahara that is more of a street tire than dirt, I would get it again if I was not riding so many trails, great for street bad for anything other than packed dirt/rock- horrible in the sand.- long lasting though.

• hoptup

Posted March 05, 2005 - 07:29 PM

For what your looking for that tire I use sounds to be just what your looking for.

• KeithBoyd

Posted March 06, 2005 - 12:34 AM

I run Metzeler Sahara Enduro 3 tyres too.....ordered another rear tyre a couple of days ago.....and they`re really grippy on the twisties....not too expensive either which means you don`t mind wearing them out by sliding......

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Math

Posted March 09, 2005 - 08:14 AM

I think the metzeler that was previously suggested is a good choice. Nevertheless, to my opinion, it is still too much of a knobby tire to do 90% street.

I have two sets of wheels on for my WR. One is mounted with kenda trackmaster II for when I go mostly offroad and I use the second set for commuting to work. The tire I've chosen to commute is the Michelin Siracs. Very very soft roll on the street, excellent grip on the pavement, surprising offroad performance, excellent longevity both front and rear.

Draw back: sand and deep mud baths are no gos/pricey

They are pricey but very worth it to my opinion. One set will last thousands of miles of pavement.

HTH

• murgatroid42

Posted March 12, 2005 - 04:20 PM

... My bike came stock with the Trail Wings, they ain't too good offroad but don't entirely suck on thr street, seem be a bit jerky in the corners, like they never warm up. I was just wonderin' if someone made a tire that was a bit more "sporty". ...

There's a reason why those tires are called "Death Wings". Any of the tires others have recommended are better.

• Evilfirbolg

Posted March 13, 2005 - 01:09 PM

Thanks for all the replies. I am looking hard at the Mtetzelers but notice that the available rear sizes are 120/80 or 140/80. Which should I get? I have always beleived bigger is better but I have often been wrong. Seems the 120 might be smaller than stock, is that true? The Michelins look good but yep they are pricey. Any one have any experience with the IRC GP 110?

edit: oops, did the math and I guess the 120 is a little teeny bit bigger than the stocker. That the right choice in size for that tire?

• budinsac

Posted March 14, 2005 - 10:00 PM

My L had new IRC GP110s when I got it. I pulled them offafter about 3500 miles of mostly street use and put d606's on for dirt work(Looks like I might get 1500 miles out of the rear d606). The front is still about 50 % but a little cupped. The back is 25%. They are pretty quiet in the straights, but howl good with some lean. A dry weather tire only in my opinion. Very slippery when wet. I'll mount them back up as my street tires as soon as I find a spare rear wheel. I think I'll try the Avons or Pirelli MT90AT as street tires next.
Bud

• Shakeyhands

Posted March 21, 2005 - 05:44 PM

Saraha's is where it is at for that much street... However I believe they are kinda pricey, could be just here though. they were 40$ more than the MT's

• RingKingPin

Posted March 21, 2005 - 07:59 PM

I gotta agree, the Distanzas are a great tire. I disagree with getting road tires on 17" rims though. Most road tires that would go on 17s are rated for 150mph+ and weigh a ton. Stick with the Avons on the 17's as well, they work great.

Avon Distanzas

Great for mainly road but give the option with coping with a bit of off road too.

Or Bridgestone trailwings.

Or get yourself a pair of 17" road wheels and tyres.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.