Valve cover gasket sealant

17 replies to this topic
  • mtnbkey33

Posted March 04, 2005 - 08:48 AM

What kind of sealant are people using on the valve cover gasket when putting the valve cover back on? The manual just says to apply "sealant" in the area on the cam chain side, but doesn't specify what type of sealant. I'm assuming it should be somewhat heat resistant.

• wheelchaser

Posted March 04, 2005 - 08:53 AM

I just make sure the rubber gasket is clean then wipe some clean oil on it to make sure its not dry. The gasket is continuous, no seems, just like an oil filter gasket.

• TheWeez

Posted March 04, 2005 - 08:54 AM

I just make sure the rubber gasket is clean then wipe some clean oil on it to make sure its not dry. The gasket is continuous, no seems, just like an oil filter gasket.

That's what I do as well.

• therapture

Posted March 04, 2005 - 08:56 AM

If you want to use a bit, there are several choices. Yamabond is always a good choice, as is some stuff I get via Toyota called "FIPG" which is short for "Formed In Place Gasket"...it's black stuff, seals like no other, and you can actually use it in place of formed orings...it's great stuff and a tube will last you a long time. Once dried it can be peeled off if need be with just a bit of work. We use it in place of paper for water pump and oil pump gaskets, to seal oil and transmission pans, rear ends, and basically anything that has oil or water behind it. Any toyota dealer carries it.... :)

• flypigs

Posted March 04, 2005 - 08:57 AM

I don't use sealant either, I just use a bit of grease so that it stays on the valve cover, and don't even particularly make sure that it's oiled on the head side of it.

I do have some 2nd thoughts about it, particularly around the semicircular part, but it hasn't leaked so far (but I haven't done many rides since having the cover off).

Pete

• Throttlejockey

Posted March 04, 2005 - 09:00 AM

Same here. I made the mistake of replacing the one on my 450 because it came with the gasket kit. It took forever to get it to seat right on the cover and I ended up using silicone to get it to stick to the cover. Leave the stock one alone unless you absloutely need to replace it.

• mtnbkey33

Posted March 04, 2005 - 11:37 AM

The manual says to apply a "sealant" specifically on the semi-circular part, but I'm concerned that applying sealant may damage the gasket the next time I have to take the head cover off.

• skipn8r

Posted March 04, 2005 - 11:50 AM

I've been using silicone RTV by Permatex. I believe it's this one, but I'm not home to check. It's a translucent blue, recommended for automotive valve covers and comes off easily next time around. I suspect Honda specifies it at the corners because the way the packing is oriented, it's tough to get a compression fit where it's vertical. I just dab a very small amount at each corner as shown in the manual. Probably not necessary, but I rarely deviate from the manual :) .

• MidwestRider

Posted March 04, 2005 - 01:17 PM

I use dielectric grease on all of my o-ring and rubber gaskets. I just put the head cover back on the other night (from my rebuild) and applied a thin layer of dielectric grease all around, including the half circle part.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • honda88

Posted March 04, 2005 - 01:32 PM

Remember the manual was written by honda legal.If you do exactly what the book says I would cost you a fortune and all your bolts would snap.dont use silacone use oil or grease like everyone said.Who do you trust honda :) or loyal tt members,Hey we know everything. :)

• skipn8r

Posted March 04, 2005 - 03:55 PM

If you do exactly what the book says I would cost you a fortune and all your bolts would snap. :)

It's the curse of being an engineer..... Oh well.....

• crmx0312

Posted March 04, 2005 - 08:30 PM

I checked the valves after my first break in ride and have not ridden since (winter). I was going by the owners manual that came with the bike which makes no reference to using a sealant . I did see it in the service manual which i just got. So basically when i checked the valves i just installed the cover without any sealant . Does this matter . Please dont tell me i have to take the darn thing apart again. Thanks

• hifijr

Posted March 05, 2005 - 06:41 AM

As far as I could tell, there was just a dap of sealant there originally, on the inside, not between the mating surfaces, probably just to hold the gasket in place while putting on the valve cover. I've had mine apart half a dozen times or more with no sealant and no leaks. You just need to be sure it's clean (no dirt) and seated properly. It's not submerged and there's not alot of pressure.

• See-Are-Ef-Too-Thir-T-Ef

Posted June 01, 2007 - 10:18 PM

NOTE:

Make sure you use thread lock on the cam caps. I tightened mine and in a few rides all the sudden there is oil running down my cylinder! Both bolts were very loose.

• the white stallion

Posted June 02, 2007 - 01:30 PM

cam caps are the clips that hold the cam down on the head.I do not suggest using lock tight on them.If you tighten your valve cover bolts properly you will not have a problem.I never take the casket off the head unless your gonna shim.at this point I would use none hardening pematex high heat casket silicone like mentioned above only on the half cicrle part of the casket.
Thats the only place there ever was any.

• aikiman22

Posted June 02, 2007 - 09:01 PM

I've been using silicone RTV by Permatex. I believe it's this one, but I'm not home to check. It's a translucent blue, recommended for automotive valve covers and comes off easily next time around. I suspect Honda specifies it at the corners because the way the packing is oriented, it's tough to get a compression fit where it's vertical. I just dab a very small amount at each corner as shown in the manual. Probably not necessary, but I rarely deviate from the manual :thumbsup: .

I do the same.:)

• See-Are-Ef-Too-Thir-T-Ef

Posted June 08, 2007 - 10:04 PM

cam caps are the clips that hold the cam down on the head.I do not suggest using lock tight on them.If you tighten your valve cover bolts properly you will not have a problem.I never take the casket off the head unless your gonna shim.at this point I would use none hardening pematex high heat casket silicone like mentioned above only on the half cicrle part of the casket.
Thats the only place there ever was any.

Doh!

I mean cam/cylinder head cover bolts.

• moto216

Posted June 09, 2007 - 08:17 AM

I just torque my cover bolts down and I've been fine, my gasket seems to be doing its job, keeping dirt out. The bolts hold in there fine also.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Bike review of my 2015 CRF250R by Justwant2ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF250R
  • Hot  55 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 crf250 fork seal leak by cr250-04

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF250R
  • 9 replies
Wiki
$10 PGM-FI HRC Tuner Tool - last post by calco88

$10 PGM-FI HRC Tuner Tool

Wiki Articles
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine oil leaking out of Airbox help! by Waaijf

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Intake - Jetting / Fuel Injection
  • 3 replies
Wiki
Motocross Cylinder Head Quiz by Fastheads.com - last post by Fastheads (BK)

Motocross Cylinder Head Quiz by Fastheads.com

Wiki Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.