changing fork oil

5 replies to this topic
  • Benjitis

Posted March 04, 2005 - 08:04 AM

Does anyone have a link to step by step directions on putting new fork oil in the front forks for a YZ426F?? I need to do this tonight and the manual isnt very clear. THanks.

• Jetsprint2

Posted March 04, 2005 - 08:32 AM

I would like to know this as well, for an 04' 450 Kayaba 48mm.

• grayracer513

Posted March 04, 2005 - 09:21 AM

Not that tough.

Loosen the pinch bolts on the top clamp and crack the fork caps loose, then continue to remove each fork leg.

Remove the cap and spring, and dump the existing oil into a pan. Pump the fork tube and the damper rod a number of times to remove as much oil as possible. Watch for any stray hardware, like washers for the lower spring seat, etc.

The filling instructions are a little vague. The issue is that air must be excluded from the damper and base valve. Fill the fork nearly full, then extend the main tubes slowly. You want to work slowly enough not to generate any foam and complicate your job. Cycle the fork up and done once or twice, and add a little more oil. Cycle the damper up and down slowly a few times, adding oil as needed, until you can feel that the air has been eliminated from the damper cartridge. Cycle the fork leg itself again and check the oil level.

Set the oil level with the spring out, and the fork and damper fully compressed. Reinstall the spring and cap, and reassemble. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • wrooster

Posted March 04, 2005 - 12:15 PM

Does anyone have a link to step by step directions on putting new fork oil in the front forks for a YZ426F?? I need to do this tonight and the manual isnt very clear. THanks.

from
http://www.thumperfaq.com/sitemap.htm

see
http://www.thumperfa.../fork_seals.htm
and
http://www.thumperfaq.com/fork_oil.htm

jim aka the wrooster
'01 wr250f

• motodad393

Posted March 04, 2005 - 01:49 PM

[COLOR=Blue]Benjitis,
Visit my son's ole website @ www.motoman393.thumpertalk.com and look in the technical section. I think he has something in there about changing the forks and such. I remember he made a special tool used in suspension work.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Michael Berg
"Motodad393"
[/COLOR]

• Benjitis

Posted March 05, 2005 - 05:34 PM

Great, thanks, changing the fluid was a success!!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.