xr650r (leave stock) ????

14 replies to this topic
  • coulier

Posted March 04, 2005 - 07:18 AM

I just bought a 2000 xr650r.I live in Michigan so I (really) have not rode the bike yet. Was going to do some of the mods that are on the forum here. My question is should I? I am only 5'8", 175lbs. The bike has all the power I want, just wondering if it would make it easier to ride if I did some of the "uncorking" mods?? Thanks Dan

• hill5150

Posted March 04, 2005 - 08:30 AM

YES :p Uncork that snarling pig you will never forgive yourself if you don't. :D :) :)

• Pig_N_CR5hundy

Posted March 04, 2005 - 09:25 AM

I highly reccomend the uncorking process. If you leave it as it comes from the dealer, it is no faster than an xr400 and it overheats very often. The uncorking will give it more power, better throttle response and it will run cooler.

Chris

• frankstr

Posted March 04, 2005 - 10:39 AM

Most definetly uncork the beast.. :) :) :p
Would you like your lung's restricted, :D
The XR650R's lung is restricted, Not a good thing

• retrobkmn

Posted March 04, 2005 - 11:00 AM

By all means uncork it you won't believe the difference it'll make

• jws

Posted March 04, 2005 - 11:13 AM

here is the answer to all your questions - the pig pen

• bakeray

Posted March 04, 2005 - 11:58 AM

I say uncork it. 99% of my overheating problems disappeared after the fact. I have done everything to mine so far other than rejet the carb. I have the parts, just not enough time to stuff them in.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Troy_Bell

Posted March 04, 2005 - 12:18 PM

YES, the bike will run like it is supposed to run. When I bought mine, I was a little disappointed and started to wonder if I made a mistake in buying it. ;) At the time, I didn't know anything about "uncorking" it. :) My brothers friend had one with all the mods and he let me ride it. :o :) :p I was at the Honda dealer bright and early the nex morning to buy some parts. :D If you like the way it runs now, you won't believe the difference. It's not a little difference, it is A BIG difference! If you wait, you will kick yourself for not doing it sooner. :D

• Winkel

Posted March 04, 2005 - 06:09 PM

Coulier,

YES, it starts easier, and runs cooler if you uncork it. Even if you don't need the extra power, it's better for the bike.

Winkel

• bakeray

Posted March 05, 2005 - 06:21 AM

I think the biggest thing I noticed was throttle response. Stock its like the bike cant get enough air.

• Roll_it_on

Posted March 05, 2005 - 06:55 AM

Leaving it stock would be like you having to swim the 100 meter race using a snorkel that is only 1/4 inch in diameter. You could do it but you sure would appreciate the difference of being able to breath without using it :)

• Mikie1

Posted March 07, 2005 - 08:45 AM

Good analogy, Roll it on. After you're done with the uncorking mods, leave it stock except for an Edelbrock carb. Damn hard to beat. I've ridden other bikes with LOTS of mods, including a full-on 680 kit, oversize valves, custom cam grind, etc. I could definitely feel a difference in power, and was impressed with the top-end pull and overall grunt of the motor, but when I got back on my stock bike (Edelbrock, drilled side cover, HRC tip), I don't think the extra power of the other bike would help me go any faster than I can on my bike- it's got plenty as it is (once uncorked).

• denro

Posted March 07, 2005 - 09:15 AM

You must uncork it, I got mine stock drove it 2 months before I uncorked it. It's not the same bike, You will really feel the defference when you shift in 3rd gear and snap it. It started the first kick after I uncorked it and also sounded like a beast.
I love this bike, let the beast breath man.

• hurricane jonny

Posted March 23, 2005 - 03:20 PM

For the love of God man! Uncork it! It is begging you. You control the throttle once you do. How would you like to breath through a drinkimg straw all day?

• Husky_Forever

Posted March 23, 2005 - 04:56 PM

Yes, uncork it. World of difference. Then add a lightweight end pipe and Edelbrock carb. Bike will be complete other than getting suspension done. Carb will allow the bike to fall over and re start right away. Stock carb, you may be kicking for a while to start the PIG. Steny :)

Related Content

Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  186 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.