Steering stem bearings are locked up (HELP)

1 reply to this topic
  • (742)

Posted March 04, 2005 - 06:23 AM

Well it must be passed time to grease the bearings. Every thing i read about trying to remove these bearings sounds like a nightmare. Is there an easy way to do this without paying 100 bucks for a specialized steering stem bearing puller???????
Help, I have a race in two days...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ga426owner

Posted March 04, 2005 - 06:52 AM

Well it must be passed time to grease the bearings. Every thing i read about trying to remove these bearings sounds like a nightmare. Is there an easy way to do this without paying 100 bucks for a specialized steering stem bearing puller???????
Help, I have a race in two days...

Remove steering stem and take to someone with a press. (machine shop/auto repair etc..)Have the old pressed out and the new lower bearing pressed in. Remove the rases in the steering tube with a long chisle that the end has been rounded off (shape of inside on steering tube) I have a 1.5 -2 foot chisle for this. Remove old bearings as a set and install the new as a set - never use same rases....I have found that Yamaha oem bearings are junk. I prefer pivot works. Stuff them with lots of grease, install steering stem with correct torque spec (do not over tighten lower flange/spanner nut- as this is very easy to do) :)

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.