Who's tried the DR.D hot start?

12 replies to this topic
  • 02YZ426

Posted March 03, 2005 - 03:14 PM

I am thinkin about putting the DR.D hot start on my 426. I was wondering if its really worth the 160 bucks or is it just an expensive upgrade that really doesnt matter? Seem to look pretty cool, but how good does it work? Anyone know where to find it cheaper??

• grayracer513

Posted March 03, 2005 - 04:23 PM

We have one on our 250F. It works fine, but it has one problem that you can avoid just by paying attention.

The cable can leak water into the bore where the hot start air valve lives and after the bike sits for a week, the wash water will corrode the carb and freeze the plunger in place. You can easily remove the cable from the carb after you wash the bike and spray out the bore with a good carb cleaner. Most of them contain alcohol and absorb water quite well. Put a little dry lube on it and put it back.

What we do is even simpler. Just start the bike shortly after washing. As soon as it will run without the choke, bring the rpm up a little and hold the hot start open for 15-30 seconds. This draws air through the passageways in the hot start circuit and pulls out any water that might be lurking there. Now it only freezes up when my kid forgets to do this. :)

Is it worth it? I don't know. How often do you use the hot start? How often do you take off and forget to push the hot start button back in? How inconvenient is the red button on the carb compared to a handlebar lever? You decide that one.

• John_Lorenz

Posted March 03, 2005 - 04:34 PM

I am thinkin about putting the DR.D hot start on my 426. I was wondering if its really worth the 160 bucks or is it just an expensive upgrade that really doesnt matter? Seem to look pretty cool, but how good does it work? Anyone know where to find it cheaper??

$160 bucks :) :p :D :D

The TT store has it for 98 buckaroos thats 98 USA Dollors. Man I thought South Africa was expensive 160 bucks in Canada :)

Get it form the TT store http://shop.thumpertalk.com

• sirthumpalot

Posted March 03, 2005 - 05:11 PM

Wholy bejesus, $160? Damn I used to sell them for much closer to $90! I don't sell them any longer (I do still sell parts, just 99% drop-ship and the hot starts I had to ship myself), but I do have one on my personal 426 and yes they are well worth $90. $160 though, wow... Keep the cable lubed and you should be OK.

• grayracer513

Posted March 03, 2005 - 05:16 PM

Probably Canadian dollars.

• 02YZ426

Posted March 03, 2005 - 05:17 PM

$160 bucks :p :D :D :)

The TT store has it for 98 buckaroos thats 98 USA Dollors. Man I thought South Africa was expensive 160 bucks in Canada :)

Get it form the TT store http://shop.thumpertalk.com

I guess I should have tried there in the first place, what was I thinkin anyway! The 160 was the first price I saw, but im not sure if thats Canadian or not. I do find most parts are cheaper for me to buy from the US though. I dont even bother my dealer here in Canada for most stuff because I can order it from cross border, ship it, and still save enough that its worth my while. I think Im going to order the hot start for the 98 bucks, it think it should be worth the money. Has anyone else had trouble with water getting in the carb after putting this upgrade on?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Satch0922

Posted March 03, 2005 - 06:43 PM

I got mine on eBay for $60

If you get one, put a thin film of lithium grease on the plunger. Then run a bead of silicone sealant where the cable meets the connector at the carb end of the cable. This will keep the water out

• grayracer513

Posted March 03, 2005 - 06:57 PM

I got mine on eBay for $60

If you get one, put a thin film of lithium grease on the plunger. Then run a bead of silicone sealant where the cable meets the connector at the carb end of the cable. This will keep the water out

It will HELP keep the water out, but from experience, it can be less than 100% effective. Running the engine and clearing the circuit is way easier than freeing it up later!

• Satch0922

Posted March 04, 2005 - 05:07 AM

if keeping water out is what you mean by "help" then your correct. I had mine 2 years and never had it seize up on me.

• Ga426owner

Posted March 04, 2005 - 05:41 AM

I had them on all my 426's....I hated trying to locate hot start at the carb, especially while racing. It makes it very easy to use at the handlebars...very much worth the cost...around 90 bucks.

• WileE1

Posted March 04, 2005 - 06:54 AM

Ive got it and love it-no need to fumble with carb.

• cowboyona426

Posted March 04, 2005 - 12:44 PM

I've got one and haven't had any problems yet, but I haven't had it very long. I just put some water proof grease on the plunger to keep it from freezing in the carb body. I paid 60 bucks for mine I believe.

• WRookie

Posted March 04, 2005 - 06:12 PM

I liked it so much on my 02 that I shelled out the $48 just to relocate the cable to the right side on my 05. I have had zero problems with the plunger sticking. On the rare occasion that I pull the plunger out of the carb I shoot it with Rem Oil. I don't relish the thought of introducing grease to all the fine passages in the carb but I have used grease on the lever side of the cable.
I don't use a pressure washer on my bikes, just a brush and garden hose.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.