Fork Tubes Flush With Top Clamp on an '87?

4 replies to this topic
  • Mantrasonica

Posted March 03, 2005 - 10:43 AM

Having solved the jetting issues, I have moved on to the suspension.

Already adjusted the rear spring pre-load so the bike doesn't sag so much, just have a quick question about the front tubes. Currently, the tubes protrude about a quarter inch above the top clamp. Is this how it is supposed to be set-up, or should the top of the tube be flush with the top of the clamp?

• don87xr600

Posted March 03, 2005 - 11:47 AM

Does it handle fine? or do you want it to be more stable? if so lower the forks in the triple clamps. Do you want it to turn sharper? if so raise the forks in the clamps.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • miguelitro

Posted March 03, 2005 - 12:10 PM

I would give the tubes acoupla mm's obove the clamps better handling imo, but that is for more wfo dez riding.

• StevePSD

Posted March 03, 2005 - 01:44 PM

You should have a machined line around each upper fork tube, about 1/4-3/8" below the top of the fork tube. The fork tubes are pushed up above the top of the triple clamp till the machined line is just visible. That is the stock position for the forks. You can adjust from there if you need to.

• miguelitro

Posted March 03, 2005 - 02:20 PM

good job clearin that up steve. I didnt think to say that....

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.