Suggestions on my 2002 YZ426F

12 replies to this topic
  • sandring

Posted March 03, 2005 - 12:18 AM

I just picked up a 2002 YZ426F and its all stock, what mods or upgrades would you recommend doing to it?

Any suggestions would help

Thanks

Chris

• rws

Posted March 03, 2005 - 04:16 AM

TT is packed with information on modifications and the benefits of each... do a search for your bike and take notes. I've actually started a notebook. I print out the mods that apply to my bike and I've put them into the book along with my service manual. That way I always have them handy and don't have to keep jumping on-line.

From what I've researched so far... you have a late enough model 426 that many of the "issues" have been worked out... however there is always something that you can do to "tweak" the bike a bit more.

Enjoy the search... and most definately enjoy the ride!

• Dano426

Posted March 03, 2005 - 06:24 AM

The 03 450 cam mod is a must! More power and easier starting for around $135.00 :)

• sandring

Posted March 03, 2005 - 06:59 AM

Very cool, thanks for the info. I will pick up the 03-450 cam for it, man I hate to start this beast.

Chris

• Florida_426

Posted March 03, 2005 - 09:09 AM

Sandring,
As said the 450 DCM is the first thing to do. While you reads through the stickied thread on this mod make a list of other modifications you see on the owner's bikes. I put a Dr.D hot start sytem on and a Twin-Air filter with a PC Racing filter seal as soon as I got my '02 home. Things like gearing, bars graphics and pegs are personal taste and preference.

In the three years I have had mine I installed a Pro Circuit T-4 exhaust system,pegs ignition side cover, Renthal bars, sprockets, chain and grips, the Dr.D hot start system, a ZipTy neutral switch cover, GYT-R top clamp and magnetic drain plug, Dunlop 773 tires, Twin-Air filter with PC racing filter seal kit, Race Tech fork and shock springs and Acerbis plastic.

If you did not get a factory shop manual find one on eBay or from a dealer. This manual will get you through all the work you need to do. I do my own maintneance and rebuilds with this manual and the information I get here. There are some really knowledgeable members that have helped me tremendously. :)

My 426 has been very reliable and enjoyable for me as a race bike. Just needs to be lighter :)

Regards,
Bill Barnard

• adrian

Posted March 03, 2005 - 09:28 AM

Hey Florida sorry I may sound ignorant and dumb but what is the ZipTy neutral switch cover??What does it do?? Can I actually get rid of all the wiring down below?? That would be nice..
Cheers

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Florida_426

Posted March 03, 2005 - 10:40 AM

Adrian,
I never think a question is ignorant. I have learned constantly for this site. The neutral cover eliminates the switch behind the counter sprocket that had a wiring set for the nuetral rev limit related to the European sound testing of the bikes. Here it does nothing. I wanted to get rid of the extra wiring. Some say this makes starting easier and some say it makes starting harder. I could not tell a difference. My 426 still starts easy, revs cleanly and has no hot start problems. I guess the bling factor helped, it is blue anodized. :) and I now have less wires in the way and probably less to go bad.

One other cover to think about is the type that has a sight glass in it so you can see your oil level. I do not know who make or sells these covers but Satch had one on his 426. You might P.M. him if that interests you.

Bill

• adrian

Posted March 03, 2005 - 11:29 AM

Adrian,
I never think a question is ignorant. I have learned constantly for this site. The neutral cover eliminates the switch behind the counter sprocket that had a wiring set for the nuetral rev limit related to the European sound testing of the bikes. Here it does nothing. I wanted to get rid of the extra wiring. Some say this makes starting easier and some say it makes starting harder. I could not tell a difference. My 426 still starts easy, revs cleanly and has no hot start problems. I guess the bling factor helped, it is blue anodized. :) and I now have less wires in the way and probably less to go bad.

One other cover to think about is the type that has a sight glass in it so you can see your oil level. I do not know who make or sells these covers but Satch had one on his 426. You might P.M. him if that interests you.

Bill

Thanks buddy, I thought I was going in the right direction with what you had, I like the idea of a sight glass, I will PM Satch

Thanks

• grayracer513

Posted March 03, 2005 - 02:20 PM

One other cover to think about is the type that has a sight glass in it so you can see your oil level.

Unless you are running a wet sump conversion, the sight glass on the engine isn't going to provide you with any useful info. The oil is stored in the tank, not the crankcases.

You are only going to eliminate one wire by removing the neutral switch, and the switch does serve to remap the ignition for less advance and a reduced rev limit when starting in neutral. Both these functions I find to be be useful.

• sandring

Posted March 03, 2005 - 02:52 PM

Thanks florida, I am searching through all the threads. Man there are alot of great ideas on this site.

Thanks again

Chris

• sandring

Posted March 03, 2005 - 02:53 PM

Check this link out, very funny stuff.

http://www.big-boys....s/beatdown.html

• HotRod250F

Posted March 03, 2005 - 05:25 PM

I recommend a fresh tank of gas, fresh tires, fresh oil, thats it :) :) . Oh yea, maybe bars of your preference. Other than that, these bikes rock stock. Just my opinion.

• adrian

Posted March 03, 2005 - 06:56 PM

Unless you are running a wet sump conversion, the sight glass on the engine isn't going to provide you with any useful info. The oil is stored in the tank, not the crankcases.

You are only going to eliminate one wire by removing the neutral switch, and the switch does serve to remap the ignition for less advance and a reduced rev limit when starting in neutral. Both these functions I find to be be useful.

Serves me no purpose as I disconnected my neutral switch....

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Should I buy this bike? help....... by Numsa Hul

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 10 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.