Question about the right footpeg fix

28 replies to this topic
  • DGA

Posted March 02, 2005 - 08:16 PM

what do you guys think of this? Think this is a reliable permanent fix?

https://secure.srcin...686&StartRow=11

• CAM2R

Posted March 02, 2005 - 08:31 PM

I'm getting more and more concerned about this as I weigh as much as the loaded bike :)

Pretty certain that my $$ wil be going this http://www.animalhou...et/products.htm route very soon (before anything breaks on either the bike or rider!)

Certainly worth every penny considering the $5000 deductible on my medical coverage :)

• TimBrp

Posted March 03, 2005 - 04:10 AM

$5,000 ded.? What's the damn point in insurance then. Wow...

• big t

Posted March 03, 2005 - 06:09 AM

I got the one from Animal House Designs. It's worth the money. :)

• qadsan

Posted March 03, 2005 - 06:57 AM

I also have Kritter's (Animal House Designs) fix and would recommend it to anyone wanting a quality solution that resolves this problem.

• jws

Posted March 03, 2005 - 09:01 AM

I got the one from Animal House Designs. It's worth the money. :)

Definitely worth the money :) :p :D

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

• Misfit

Posted March 03, 2005 - 09:05 AM

What I dont understand is why honda didnt fix this problem in the first place :) I would think they would be getting allot of lawsuits for this negligence (sp?) :)

• qadsan

Posted March 03, 2005 - 10:02 AM

What I dont understand is why honda didnt fix this problem in the first place :) I would think they would be getting allot of lawsuits for this negligence (sp?) :)

My guess is that it only happens to a small percentage of bikes and Honda probably doesn't have suffucient numbers behind them to know how big of a problem it really is.

My guess is lots of these bikes are ridden very lightly and many bikes may never see this problem as a result that of simple trail riding. Some bikes seem more prone to this issue than others. The peg bolts on one of my bikes could easily be inserted and removed where as on another they were a very tight fit and this will contribute to longer life. Of the bikes / pegs that have failed, my guess is that only a very small percentage of people actually took the time to call Honda's corporate offices and file a complaint or file a complaint with the NHTSA. Reporting this problem to a dealer probably goes nowhere most of the time or the dealer handles it as a repair.

The peg issue may very well be a big enough issue that warrants Honda's attention and we can talk about it all day long until we're blue in the face, but until everyone that's had this problem files a complaint with the NHTSA or through a central source that logs these complaints, nobody will know the true extent of this problem. Here's a link to the NHTSA...

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

• KillerPriller

Posted March 03, 2005 - 12:41 PM

from the pics, i cant exactly tell what the problem is. I had read something about this, but had assumed it was the pin holding the actual foot peg on. But this looks like seriousl failure of bolts. What causes it?

• irondude

Posted March 03, 2005 - 01:01 PM

Team Honda's Johnny Campbell has a joint venture with Precision Concepts called 1Xinternational.com (not sure what happens if they loose to KTM this year!)

ANyway they offer the footpeg fix.

So i guess Honda knows about the footpeg issue!

On the Honda bulletin and in Ogilivies famous 'race prep' articles for 4-5 years ago the footpeg was mentioned--they just warned it needed to be checked consistently for looseness...

Cracks me up Team Honda dude sells a cure while the Company doesnt do anything...i know of 5 bikes that have lost a peg--two resulting in brocken bones!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • thumpasaurus

Posted March 03, 2005 - 01:18 PM

Ever since upgrading to the 650R a couple months ago, I've read a lot about this. Considering my 240#, I was afraid to ride whoops hard or jump far.. It's hard to do any of that with your butt on the seat :) I check my bolts every day whether I ride or not. :)

So I ordered the peg mod from kritter. Should be here today or tomorrow. I hear it's the ticket. For what he charges it's worth it for peace of mind.

• CAM2R

Posted March 03, 2005 - 05:50 PM

$5,000 ded.? What's the damn point in insurance then. Wow...

Insurance policy = two bottles of tequila - one for the pain and one for the bill....

It's that stuff between $ 5K and $ 2M that I can't be paying out. Come to think of it - I wonder if off-road motorcycle riding is an inherently dangerous activity that is not covered at all ?????

....at the hospital... "we've never seen this many broken bones from a fall in the 'bathtub' sir" :) :)

• qadsan

Posted March 03, 2005 - 07:50 PM

...ANyway they offer the footpeg fix.
So i guess Honda knows about the footpeg issue!

...Cracks me up Team Honda dude sells a cure while the Company doesnt do anything...i know of 5 bikes that have lost a peg--two resulting in brocken bones!

Honda is a very big company and there may be a bigger disconnect between the famous off road racers and the people inside Honda that are responsible for issuing priority to this issue. One of the people from a former little league team was/is an engineer for Suzuki motorcycles and they were involved with the off road motorcycles, but when I mentioned the names of some famous orr road racers, they had no clue as to who I was talking about.

Big companies can sometimes be very complex and difficult to deal with. I remember rasing the red flag on a product design I was involved with because there was a risk of fire. I wrote memo's, held meetings, tele-conferences, etc, and could never get the attention I thought this issue deserved. There were dozens of isolated incidents over the years where smoke, burning and melting had occured and it never caught the attention or received the priority I felt it should have and this went on for many years. Then one day I was called into a quiet board room filled with fancy suits and serious looking people who questioned me for hours about the posibility of fire with this particular product / design. Everyone seemed to be taken by surprise that this product could start a fire. I soon found out our company was sued because this product had actually caught fire and because there was combustable fuel in the immediate area, the fire spread and then part of the building was burned down along with office materials, various equipment, etc, but nobody was injured. Even though I was on the inside and was known fairly well at our world wide offices and various companies we owned and dealt with, I may as well been on the outside or pissing into the wind. It took a lot of outside pressure to bring enough light, attention & priority to this issue before it was seriously looked at and properly dealt with.

Honda will take the foot peg issue more seriously if people start filing complaints with an agency that holds them accountable and I believe the NHTSA might be the right vehicle to use to make this happen.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

• Kritter

Posted March 03, 2005 - 09:59 PM

Team honda does NOT run the precision concepts fix...the PC fix is a piece of angle iron cut and then another piece welded to that and then welded to your peg. Same idea as mine only halfass...

Team honda strips the bike to the bare frame, mills it flat, drills it out, presses in SS sleeves for larger bolts and calls it good. I thought until recently they did all that plus ran the PC peg but that is not the case.

I know XR's only does the high dollar american honda frame mod copy for certain people, not sure if its available to the public and I cant imagine what the cost would be.

I do the mod and try to be affordable and I always like feedback. An hour at your local welding shop is 60 bucks plus material and you wont have a fix as nice as what I can offer for only a few bucks more.

I just found a front bolt that may not rust like black oxide although the plating on it looks like insta-chrome. If you ordered a modified peg from me and are having issues keeping the front bolt looking pretty...email me. I have 3 of the new plated bolts left that I can send out. I think the best thing to do is spray paint the head of the black oxide bolts so they stay black, but I dont do this as customers may think its mickey mouse.

• Kritter

Posted March 03, 2005 - 10:19 PM

So I ordered the peg mod from kritter. Should be here today or tomorrow.

It went out monday as promised...

• Old_Man_Time

Posted March 03, 2005 - 11:14 PM

I have a question for you guys who have experienced this problem. If you changed the bolts on a regular schedule, in your opinion would the problem be resolved? Meaning would it be safe in your opinion?

I put 5000 miles on one of my XR650Rs with no problem. I have 2000 miles on my new XR650R with no problems. I stand a lot more now than I did with the first bike so I am a bit concerned about this issue.

• teamwho

Posted March 04, 2005 - 11:25 AM

All I know is even when the bike was new the bolts loosened every ride, and I feared it was just a matter of time before I snapped it, and losing a peg at speed just does not like fun to me. I did Kritter's fix as well, and it works great, and 1/2 the price of PC's fix, cant go wrong!

• Husky_Forever

Posted March 04, 2005 - 12:32 PM

Qadsan is partly right. Only a small amount of riders report this to Honda and Honda tells each one the same thing as they told me in 93 when mine broke with just 600 miles on the bike. " Your the first ever to tell us this. No one else has ever had this happen to them". :) I had the SRC shim kit in mine, tightened the bolts every ride (or evening on multi day rides) and it still broke leaving with in the middle of Baja with a broken wrist.

Food for thought when buying a fix. Steny

• Old_Man_Time

Posted March 04, 2005 - 12:55 PM

Qadsan is partly right. Only a small amount of riders report this to Honda and Honda tells each one the same thing as they told me in 93 when mine broke with just 600 miles on the bike. " Your the first ever to tell us this. No one else has ever had this happen to them". :) I had the SRC shim kit in mine, tightened the bolts every ride (or evening on multi day rides) and it still broke leaving with in the middle of Baja with a broken wrist.

Food for thought when buying a fix. Steny

You mean 03 not 93 since the XR650R did not exist until 2000. Never the less I am worried about it and have no problem buying the fix. I fear I would break a lot more than a wrist since I am 54 years old and 250+ lbs.

• thumpasaurus

Posted March 04, 2005 - 01:52 PM

...Never the less I am worried about it and have no problem buying the fix. I fear I would break a lot more than a wrist since I am 54 years old and 250+ lbs.

Agree.. I looked at it this way. If my peg were to break at an inopportune moment, as is prone to happen, causing me to crash and get broke up. The knowledge that I could have prevented it for $75... would force me to kick my own ass. (probably with my left leg at that point. :) )

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.