650R vs. 450X?

12 replies to this topic
  • bultaco

Posted March 02, 2005 - 03:07 PM

http://www.motorcycl...ID=1820&Page=2#

Above is a link to the 450X....How Do these bikes compare and does the new introduction change anyone's mind to staying with or buying another 650R?

I know that the X is not meant to replace the 650R...but the pool of potential buyers does overlap to some degree...

Any feedback appreciated

• Sideways_xr100

Posted March 02, 2005 - 03:34 PM

The biggest difference is going to be long term reliability and much higher maintenance cost associated with the 450X. The 650R may be a tank, but they are all but almost bulletproof.

Only time will tell with the 450X, but my guess would be similar (maybe a little better) reliability the the 450R.

My ideal bike would be the 650R motor in the 450R chassis if possible, all the torque and all the reliability in a state of the art chassis.

• thumper447

Posted March 02, 2005 - 04:55 PM

I have an XR 650r (to be dual-sported) and I think that the ultimate would be to have a CRF 450 to motocross and ride in the tight trails/hare scramble races. The bullet-proof aspect of the XR is appealing for road use, but the bike isn't motocross material. So the only way around this issue is to have both!!! :) A CRF 650x could kill two birds w/ one stone!!

• big t

Posted March 02, 2005 - 06:15 PM

I won't be selling my 650 anytime soon. I want to see how the 450x will hold up. But I bet you will be seeing some killer deals on 650's.

• thumpasaurus

Posted March 02, 2005 - 06:35 PM

I think a lot of people are waiting to see how they hold up. That seems to be everyones main concern, durability and maint requirements. I'm concerned about that narrow hard seat..

Fwiw, Cycle World (april 05) is out w/ an article on the 450X. it's titled
"CRF450X - anybody want to buy an XR650R.. cheap?"

Hey Cycle World.. :)

• BajaBoundMoto

Posted March 02, 2005 - 09:13 PM

I have ridden the X just a little (at the press intro) and liked it.

But tomorrow (3rd) we're taking a new one to Baja for 4 days so I'm sure we'll have a better idea how it is next week.

There's 10 of us going and I'm sure everyone is gonna thrash on it so it should get some heavy abuse.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JackAttack

Posted March 02, 2005 - 09:19 PM

But tomorrow (3rd) we're taking a new one to Baja for 4 days so I'm sure we'll have a better idea how it is next week.

There's 10 of us going and I'm sure everyone is gonna thrash on it so it should get some heavy abuse.

Looking forward to hearing about it Tim. :)

• Mikie1

Posted March 02, 2005 - 09:29 PM

Congrats on your race, Tim.

Stop at the internet cafe & let us know how you like the 450X.

• irondude

Posted March 02, 2005 - 10:30 PM

My ideal bike would be the 650R motor in the 450R chassis if possible, all the torque and all the reliability in a state of the art chassis.

Husky 510:
239lbs dry
51 hp stock (at 82 decibels!)
comes with a button.

• irondude

Posted March 03, 2005 - 01:07 AM

Yeah, Tim,
Tell us what ya think about that new bike!

And enjoy the flowers. Lots of pleasant little reddish ones and orange ones out there right now...my favorite are the blue and yellow ones, but they arent that common. Just watch out for the red ones as sometimes they have thorns!

Should be a good weekend for it.

• hurricane jonny

Posted March 03, 2005 - 10:22 AM

I have heard people are breaking valves left and right. You can buy one cheap around here. Everyone that has one is selling it. Get the 650R. You want to ride or wrench? I would get the KTM before the 450X. :)

• ThunderChicken

Posted March 03, 2005 - 01:24 PM

i rode the soboba ride with the 450x. it's a pretty wicked machine.
i want to get it in the desert which is where i think it will be more at home. still haven't had a chance to make it mine yet so the suspension and ergos are a little unsorted.

the button is nice, got me out of trouble on a couple of occasions. i can tell already that button is going to be the difference in several finishing positions in future desert races. the bike is pretty docile compared to the 450r, which is exactly what i like for race bikes anyway, but when you need it you certainly can bring down the thunder.

cornering is excellent, but this is coming from someone who races a 650r. i felt a little hung on the bike, but again, i was in a hurry when i got the nod to ride the bike and didn't take any time to set it up for my size.

i haven't had the bike in open scenarios yet, nor have i had it on rolling two track with cross grain. the soboba ride was a classic singletrack ride and the bike was rarely out of 2nd and 3rd gear. this weekend i should have it in a pure desert scenario.

the bike does seem a little on the unwieldly side in the tight stuff, but again, that's ok with me because the solidness i did feel, which i was unable to test due to the nature of the terrain, will be very beneficial in more open terrain scenarios where lesser, mx based bikes, deflect.

all in all it's a wicked wicked machine. i think once i get the bike into rolling two track, sand trails through boulders, valleys, and other typical desert scenarios, i will most likely discover the true potential of this new weapon.

• huntmaster

Posted March 03, 2005 - 02:00 PM

The 450 X is getting some good initial reviews. Of course the media-types get to walk away from them after testing bikes while the rest of us get to maintain them! I hope Honda has done their homework here. I've been interested in the bike but as many have stated, won't be buying a first year model just in case!

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  148 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.