03 yz450 issues

7 replies to this topic
  • jason_kent

Posted March 02, 2005 - 12:50 PM

Got a buddy who picked up a used 450.......kind of a war horse.....raced pretty hard. He's got it all torn down for new parts...linkage bearings, headset bearings etc. The bike ran well before he took it all apart. The only thing that is left intact is the motor in the frame..... The question is the previous owner said he adjusted the valves what we want to know is do these bikes have any history of valve problems. I know two guys with 00 426s that are stone reliable. While we have the bike torn down this far should the valves be replaced or maybe just check the clearances, do a compression check and ride. I looked through the open slide and the intake passage and valves looked pretty clean in there. Any help would be appreciated.

• silveradoss

Posted March 02, 2005 - 12:58 PM

I've had my 03 yz450 for about a year and it has been stone reliable (knock on wood). I checked my valves last week and they are still in spec. Just my $.02.

• mxracer452

Posted March 02, 2005 - 01:17 PM

i've had my 03' 450 for almost two years. i just took it all down to put in a new piston and rings and to change the valve seals. there wasnt any problem whatsover with the valves...they were almost perfect

Posted March 02, 2005 - 03:46 PM

Yamaha's arn't the bikes with valve problems, thats Honda. :)

The blue bikes are stone reliable.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yzf450jack

Posted March 02, 2005 - 04:58 PM

HONDAS :) valves :)

• grayracer513

Posted March 02, 2005 - 06:38 PM

I have an '03 that insists on being in spec to this day as well, but that will change sooner or later. The '00 426's had Stainless valves in them and they're an absolute brick because of it.

Yamahas are far better because the quality of the titanium and their processing is better, but all engines with Ti valves will follow the same pattern:

1) Possible early wear in may require reshimming some of the valves
2) After a while (years in the case of a YZF) clearances will drop and require a reshim of about one size lower.
3) Things will go fine and then clearance will suddenly turn up 1-3 sizes smaller. Reshimming will only last 10-20 hours and it will want 2 sizes less. At that point, the Nitride coating on the valve faces is gone, and they need replacing.

If you want to do some preventative maintenence, throw a cam chain in it, and think about a set of OEM valve springs.

Beyond that, your sundial is likely to cause you more problems than your YZF.

Posted March 03, 2005 - 05:24 AM

How about transmissions? I just got through putting 3 and 4th gear in my 03 YZ450. So much for stone reliable.

• grayracer513

Posted March 03, 2005 - 05:21 PM

Mine's not broken. :)

The 4 spd is notably stronger than the 5spd in the YZ426.

Related Content

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.