Intake camshaft?

10 replies to this topic
  • tammie

Posted March 02, 2005 - 12:34 PM

upon removing and inspecting my INTAKE camshaft I noticed that the center camshaft lobe is a bit offset from the two outside lobes, like when looking at the camshaft longways you can see the center lobe is not completely inline with the other two.......is this normal???

• fatnugget

Posted March 02, 2005 - 12:50 PM

I would think so since the three valves on the intake side couldn't be in a straight line in relation to the cam.

• tammie

Posted March 02, 2005 - 01:20 PM

does this mean I need a new intake cam OR can this be fixed??

anyone know this for SURE??

• Frostbite

Posted March 02, 2005 - 02:00 PM

Hey Tammie

The cams are built this way. It is absolutely normal. If you got a new one it would look the same. It has to do with valve timing, you get a bit more duration without having to have all the valves open so it broadens the power band.

• FFRacing79

Posted March 02, 2005 - 02:40 PM

Hey Tammie

The cams are built this way. It is absolutely normal. If you got a new one it would look the same. It has to do with valve timing, you get a bit more duration without having to have all the valves open so it broadens the power band.

Actually all the intakes open and close at the same time. It is the valve offset that requires the lobes to be positioned the way they are. Tdub

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • fatnugget

Posted March 02, 2005 - 03:36 PM

Hmmmm that sounds like what I was taking about in my earlier post. I may not have been as clear.

• tammie

Posted March 02, 2005 - 04:11 PM

ok thanx guys............just didn't look right to me looking at it and in the manual it looks as the though the diagram of the camshaft the lobes are all inline..........thought mine was messed up...........phew..

thanx frostbite :)

it all makes sense now :)

• Frostbite

Posted March 02, 2005 - 05:10 PM

Actually all the intakes open and close at the same time. It is the valve offset that requires the lobes to be positioned the way they are. Tdub

I knew the cam was normal but I didn't exactly know why the lobe was off set. I hate not knowing the answer so I took my best guess. :)

• grayracer513

Posted March 02, 2005 - 06:27 PM

Like FFR said. Next time you have the cam out, look at the arrangement of the valve lifters in the head. Because the center valve inserts more vertically than the outer two, they don't all line up. The split in the lobe centering makes up for it.

• sanpedro426

Posted March 02, 2005 - 06:37 PM

Man you all ROCK. This is why i LOVE this site ,it is so informative. Tammi you are doing a great job, keep it up . I learn so much from reading everybodys posts and questions. :) :) :p

• Frostbite

Posted March 03, 2005 - 05:22 AM

Like FFR said. Next time you have the cam out, look at the arrangement of the valve lifters in the head. Because the center valve inserts more vertically than the outer two, they don't all line up. The split in the lobe centering makes up for it.

Like the Grey man said, here's the split.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.