650L cold start buzzing sound

19 replies to this topic
  • XR Dude

Posted March 02, 2005 - 09:16 AM

OK guys, I heard a familiar sound last night and now I'm curious as to what causes it. On my 05 650L I changed oil at 500 miles. Now on cold starts it buzz's from the right side crank case for about 30 seconds then slowly goes away. I've heard this sound from my 86 xr600r for forever, after letting it sit for more than a couple of days start it up buzzzz. It didn't happen on my L until I changed the oil and filter. Its still getting oil when it starts as I loosened the top end oil supply tube when starting and oil pours out so I'm not real concerned, and my 600r has had no problems either. Anybody else have this sound and know what it is? Its the middle of winter up here so there's no bees in my shop. Thank you, oh knowledgable ones!

• XR650L_Dave

Posted March 02, 2005 - 10:09 AM

I know EXACTLY the noise you mean and I have NO idea what the frick it is!
Is the cam chain tensioner oil-pressure driven on this beast?

Dave

• Old_Man_Time

Posted March 02, 2005 - 10:40 AM

I have the same noise on my second XR650R. My first one never made this noise. To me it makes the same sound a 10 speed bicycle would make when you are coasting and not pedaling. It eventually goes away as the bike warms up.

I took my bike to the Honda shop and asked their mechanic to come out and listen to it. He said it wasn't normal and wondered if the kick starter wasn't totally disengaging when first started. He didn't feel it was critical because it goes away relatively quickly. Since I have the four year extended warrantee I have not worried about it.

It would be interesting if anyone ever figures out exactly what the noise is. :)

• budinsac

Posted March 02, 2005 - 11:45 AM

My 2000 with 13k miles makes the same noise. Also, no clue as to what the source is.
Bud

• sportbiker929

Posted March 02, 2005 - 11:51 AM

oil pump??

• Xr650LMartin

Posted March 02, 2005 - 12:17 PM

Mine (2000) does the exact same noise! I noticed the colder its outside, the longer the noise stays!

• Misfit

Posted March 02, 2005 - 12:24 PM

HMMM mine does the same thing too. This is weird. :)

• captb

Posted March 02, 2005 - 01:05 PM

A couple of my XR600s made that noise it seemed like oil level equalizing (dry sump oiling system) with some kind of relief valve never had any problems with any of them though.

• Dual_Dog

Posted March 02, 2005 - 02:49 PM

On my 05 650L I changed oil at 500 miles. Now on cold starts it buzz's from the right side crank case for about 30 seconds then slowly goes away. I've heard this sound from my 86 xr600r for forever, after letting it sit for more than a couple of days start it up buzzzz. Anybody else have this sound and know what it is? Thank you, oh knowledgable ones!

C'mon you guys. We all know the old RFVC motor has the ancient rocker arm & tappet system to operate the valves. Since all you guys are hearing the same noises more than likely the valves adjusted properly. This is the valve lash gradually decreasing as the bike heats up. Remember, a loose valve is a happy valve.

Buzzes like crazy when cold, and then it's gone after the head temperature soars. All normal.

• XR Dude

Posted March 02, 2005 - 03:04 PM

Definately not the case in my instance with 500 miles on it and I had adjusted the valves at 400. Two we're only .001" off the other two were perfect. I cold started it 3 different times before changing the oil and had no sound, then after the oil change whammo, sounds just like my xr600r has for years and its definately in the bottom end not in the head. Like I say I don't believe its a problem but what could it be? I like the oil/dry sump explanation earlier stated but don't know if its true. Sounds like a lot of us hear the same thing and nobody has had any problems. hmmmm very interesting.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • XR650L_Dave

Posted March 02, 2005 - 05:28 PM

Yes, def. not the valves. Cadence is wrong. Hey, could it be an oil-pump overpressure relief valve? Maybe a check valve that makes noise when the oil's really thick?

Dave

• ghoti

Posted March 04, 2005 - 05:51 AM

My 04 makes that noise too. Thanks for pointing it out, now I have something else to be worried about. :)

• jlpskydive

Posted March 04, 2005 - 07:54 AM

My O4 also, drives me crazy, but now that i know everyone elses does it too, with no problems, I am no longer concerned. Thanks for the tread!! I feel better now.

• FOUR STOKED

Posted March 04, 2005 - 10:23 AM

Mine too. :) It has the specific sound of something gear driven, got to be the oil pump until the oil warms up little and the oil pump gets primed good. I don't think it will do it as bad when it warms up outside a little more but mine has been making that noise for ten years and no problems so far. :)

• babbs

Posted March 04, 2005 - 02:33 PM

Just turn up the volume on your stereo, that is what my wife does in our car. Honey, how long has your car made that noise, "that noise goes away when I turn the radio on"

• thouk

Posted March 04, 2005 - 04:37 PM

I got it too. I started up my bike(XR650R) today and it made the same noise. I put my ear to the engine and narrowed it down to near the oil pump area. I agree about the oil pump warming up. I stand by the claim of the oil pump noise and that is final. Happy riding, Tony

• Fetona

Posted March 04, 2005 - 09:28 PM

I got it too. I started up my bike(XR650R) today and it made the same noise. I put my ear to the engine and narrowed it down to near the oil pump area. I agree about the oil pump warming up. I stand by the claim of the oil pump noise and that is final. Happy riding, Tony

Yup, I noticed it years ago on my 1989 XR600. It only happened when the air temperature was approx. 50F or less. A honda mechanic friend of mine told me to run 10/40 during the winter time (I was running 20/50). He said that when the temperature drops the oil gets too thick and bypasses the oil filter element. The buzzing sound that you hear is the spring loaded pressure relief. Which I think makes sense, the buzzing sound is comming from under the oil filter cover.

• Wheels up

Posted March 05, 2005 - 06:58 AM

My 04 makes the noise also. Warms up and it's gone. I bought it new and it's been doing it the whole time. The temperature drops very low around here and I drove it all winter without a problem.

• thumpasaurus

Posted March 05, 2005 - 08:15 AM

...He said it wasn't normal and wondered if the kick starter wasn't totally disengaging when first started. He didn't feel it was critical because it goes away relatively quickly....

OMT,

I have that same faint buzz noise on my 600 sometimes and think the same thing.. (kickstart gear not fully disegaging.) Sometimes I can jiggle the kick lever w/ my foot and make it stop quickly, sometimes not. Either way it goes away quickly, approx 30 seconds.. It's definitely not valves tapping, it comes from the right side cover and it's too fast (buzz not tap).

• XR Dude

Posted March 07, 2005 - 06:41 AM

I pulled out my manual over the weekend and started looking at the way the oil circuit works and in particular the oil pump and it does have a pressure relief valve that is spring activated. I totally agree with the above posts about the relief valve and cold oil relating to higher pressure and bypassing or relieving pressure from the system. I think the sound is the spring plate snapping up and down while the pump pulses. This forum is great for different ideas, and it really helped solve this question I had. Thank you fellas, one and all.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.