Exhaust backfiring on downshift

8 replies to this topic
  • 02YZ426

Posted March 01, 2005 - 06:15 PM

Latley my 426 has been popping and bangin on the downshift. For some reason, I dont remember if it always did that. Is that normal? or is there something up with my exhaust? I repacked the silencer last season and I wonder if that has something to do with it. I would like to find a way to stop that. Any Ideas?

• benuk

Posted March 02, 2005 - 08:23 AM

sounds like its pulling air in from somewhere :)
exhaust gasket ? end can not fitting right ? etc :)

• rmracer27

Posted March 02, 2005 - 08:37 AM

Sounds like you have one of three things going on.1 Exhaust leak somewhere 2.You might need to adjust your pilot screw some 3 It could be also that you have some dirt in it the carb and needs a real good cleaning.

• mnm567

Posted March 02, 2005 - 08:44 AM

Usually when you have a backfire problem, your bike is running lean. Like Benuk said, you could have an air leak which would increase flow of the exhaust. The exhaust trys to out flow the intake therefore it needs more fuel. You end up with a lean burn giving it backfire problems. when it is cold outside, you have the opposite, the colder more dense air leans out the mixture also making the bike backfire unless you add a larger main jet. So you probably either have a leak at the head pipe, mid pipe joint, or your bike is jetted to lean. Some times if the fuel screw isn't set properly, you will have the same probs. Check the exhaust first because it is the easiest. I would recommend buying a tach/hour meter. You can use the tach to set your fuel screw. turn the fuel screw in with the bike at idle, then back it out until you reach the point just after you have the highest RPM. you can also do this by ear, by listening to the idle and stopping when it gets its highest, but it is hard. If you still have probs, evaluate whether or not you need to go to a larger main jet. Jetting sucks, but it is easier with a 4-stroke. Matt

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted March 02, 2005 - 08:56 AM

On idle screw adjustment:

The main jet has almost absolutely nothing to do with idle mixture. If you should find your fuel screw runs outside the recommended range, it would be the Pilot jet that needs to be changed.

An air leak in the exhaust simply provides one of the 3 required ingredients for combustion. Heat is always present, and some fuel will pass through unburned on decel if the engine can idle at all. The only thing missing is air. Check your midpipe clamp.

• mnm567

Posted March 02, 2005 - 09:00 AM

grayracer513, Wouldn't you agree that the main jet affects the entire jetting curcuit though? Just wondering. Matt

• 02YZ426

Posted March 02, 2005 - 02:49 PM

Thanks for the info guys. I was just checking out the exhaust and it looks like the seal at the mid pipe isnt the best. Im going to order a new one with hope thats it. If that doesnt fix it, is there a chance Im not getting enough backpresure from the silencer? Maybe I should re-pack it again. Im not sure what jetting is in it, but I know its stock. Do you jet a four stroke the same as a 2 stroke? should the plug have the same colors? Im very familiar with jetting on the 2s but not the 4s.

• grayracer513

Posted March 02, 2005 - 11:59 PM

grayracer513, Wouldn't you agree that the main jet affects the entire jetting curcuit though? Just wondering. Matt

Not at an idle, which is the position the throttle is in during decel. In fact, the pilot has more influence up to about 1/8 - 1/4 throttle. Remember, too, that the main and idle circuits are physically independent of one another. The only thing they share in common is the float bowl and the carb throat. While at idle, so little fuel goes by the main jet that you could go up or down 4 sizes or more and not have much effect on the idle. As soon as you start to open the throttle, that starts to change rapidly, though.

• mnm567

Posted March 04, 2005 - 05:13 AM

I see. Thanks for the info! Matt

Related Content

WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  57 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.