supermotard wheels

5 replies to this topic
  • devin

Posted August 13, 2001 - 04:18 PM

Anyone bolt on cast aluminum wheels from a streetbike yet?Parts used and machining procedures please.

• carverdude

Posted August 13, 2001 - 11:50 PM

Me too!!!I can machine spacers,ect in my shop if someone needs help.

• jamracing

Posted August 20, 2001 - 10:37 AM

Your best bet would be Suzuki GS500E wheels, or earlier GSX-r750 (88-89) wheels. Also, FZR600/400 wheels would work. You would have to do some machining and bearing searching, but they will work. Let me know your progress.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Mitch_from_Oz

Posted August 20, 2001 - 12:09 PM

Guys, keep away from cast iron wheels. Stick to spoked wheels as these are significantly lighter. (Trust me, I have been doing this for 4 years)

Good luck
Mitch

• freshy

Posted August 20, 2001 - 03:32 PM

Originally posted by Mitch from Oz:
Guys, keep away from cast iron wheels. Stick to spoked wheels as these are significantly lighter. (Trust me, I have been doing this for 4 years)
Hmm Cast Iron? Not many rims made from that material any longer. Good advice though. Cast Iron rims no good.
Good luck
Mitch

• fitzy

Posted August 21, 2001 - 03:16 AM

Hi there Devin. I made up a set of wheels using the following. GPX 250 Kawasaki rear rim.Used the kawa disc Approx 5mm smaller diam than the yammie but works fine. Spaced out the rear sprocket appros 3mm to get it to line up.Used the original Kawa axel and machined up spacers to bring it up to the same diamater as the yam, that way you can use the standard kawa axel bearings and the original yammie chain ajusters.( the bushes make the axel fit into the swingarm properly.
On the front I used a XJ 650 yamie rim(could'nt find a front to match the back, but it's close)Changed the front wheel bearings to suit the original WR yamie axel and then machined the 650 disk down to the WR400 disk size. Made up wheel spacers to suit, and even managed to get the original WR speedo to work with it(not very accurate though). I used these wheels on my WR400 to
ride to work and around town during summer. From memory I think the front is 18" & the rear 16". turns on a dime on the bituman. I reckon that with a bit of searching in the wreckers & a measuring tape u will find somthing that will do the job with a little bit of work. I currently have mine for sale with my bike. Going to upgrade at the end of the year. Will seperated them though If someone wants them. $400.00 Aust plus frieght.Hope this helps.
Cheers
Fitzy in OZ

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.