60 hp.. whats it take??

29 replies to this topic
  • saucebox

Posted March 01, 2005 - 05:25 PM

ok so i'm sitting completely stock right now except i cut 4 or 5 inches off my muffler.. i was wondering if jardines exhaust, porting, and a high compression and hot cams could bring me up to the 60 hp range??? if not, what would it take excluding NOS???

• teamtoxic

Posted March 01, 2005 - 07:35 PM

It will take quite a bit of work and $$. chrome-crf over on the crf450 side is pushing the 60hp mark and seems to me he is quite heavily modified. Perform a search or go browse around.

- Nick

• big t

Posted March 01, 2005 - 10:22 PM

$$$$$$$$

• benuk

Posted March 02, 2005 - 12:56 AM

if your wanting 60 bhp at the rear wheel it will take lots of £££ you would have to go 502cc for a start like the falcon flat track bike i would of thought :) cams head work etc etc
im doing 56bhp at the engine 48.4bhp at the rear wheel :)

• Lightningale

Posted March 02, 2005 - 02:43 AM

Slip the Dyno man an extra twenty to fudge the data for you :) :)

• FFRacing79

Posted March 02, 2005 - 06:00 AM

http://www.ronhamp.c...iceSept2003.jpg

450cc
big valve head
ST exhaust
webcams

• ncmountainman

Posted March 02, 2005 - 06:19 AM

ok so i'm sitting completely stock right now except i cut 4 or 5 inches off my muffler.. i was wondering if jardines exhaust, porting, and a high compression and hot cams could bring me up to the 60 hp range??? if not, what would it take excluding NOS???

what was the results of cutting the muffler down? i was thinking of doing the same to my p-core4 ,supposed to add to the bottom end?

• Eddie Sisneros

Posted March 02, 2005 - 07:11 AM

Slip the Dyno man an extra twenty to fudge the data for you :) :)

if its dynojet dyno and fully updated to winpep7 as it should be,you cant "fudge" the results.

• Flattracker60

Posted March 02, 2005 - 01:49 PM

I spent $2250(incuding pipe and everything) and ended up right where I thought I would....55RWHP. Rossier Engineering in Wisconsin(Joe Benner), great guy!!

• ONLY4STROKES

Posted March 02, 2005 - 03:42 PM

Send your bike to Pro Circuit, they know how to build a 60+ horsepower 450.

And be strapped with cash.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SSpeeDEMONSS

Posted March 02, 2005 - 04:37 PM

how about just go out and buy a CRF500?

• rebel1916

Posted March 02, 2005 - 06:55 PM

ron wood can probably help you out. hes a flattrack wiz and were all power hungry.

• SSpeeDEMONSS

Posted March 02, 2005 - 07:13 PM

Cr500****

• saucebox

Posted March 02, 2005 - 08:50 PM

what was the results of cutting the muffler down? i was thinking of doing the same to my p-core4 ,supposed to add to the bottom end?

only reason i cut the pipe down was for looks.. i thought that long muffler was hidious looking sticking out even with the rear fender.. some people say you can feel a low end power gain but i can not. could have been because i hadnt rode my bike for a few days b4 i did the mod either :)

• SSpeeDEMONSS

Posted March 02, 2005 - 08:55 PM

cutting the pipe should actually take a lil away from the bottom end and give a little to the top end. i didnt notice any lose and havent noticed much of a gain either. i definately like the way mine looks with it cut off tho.

• FFRacing79

Posted March 02, 2005 - 09:02 PM

It is much easier to cut the mid pipe...in some instances it will gain some over rev, depending on the system.

• ncmountainman

Posted March 03, 2005 - 06:18 AM

i spoke to a FMF engineer about it a while back,that it(cutting the muffler) will increase bottom end IF and only if you opened the muffler chamber. i've been screwing around with different configurations, before takin' the cutoff saw to it. i made a heavy ga. SS screen tube to slide over the core (powercore 4 has a perforated square tube about 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" running from one end to the other) and removed enough packing to make this possible. the tube is just big enough to touch all four of the square edges(picture a square peg in a round hole) and is heavy enough not to crush. so then i thought well if i put the quiet core in it might simulate making it shorter(it sticks in about 5") but that would also cut down on flow! so i drilled 6 holes (3/8) in the insert tube,angling the bit towards the outlet after it was through(ended up a oblong hole) and man i don't know what i did but the power curve moved lower and became super linear and stops right before over rev(before it was bouncin' off the rev limiter way too easily) now the insert by itself (before)was very lackluster,worked very well but you could tell it was there. this way its way quieter than wide open,with a better power delivery(at least for my woods riding anyway) i might cut the can down in the future but this was quite impressive ,for not knowing what the heck i was doin' !!!!! :)

• st3ve

Posted March 03, 2005 - 06:55 AM

what are you going to do with 60 hp? Pull foundations out from underneath homes?

• PumpkinHumper

Posted March 03, 2005 - 08:42 AM

There was a 60+ hp YZ450 flat tracker in one of the mags recently. I cant remember which one. Ill check it out tonight if I get a chance and post the engine builder here if I think about it.

That bike was nothing more than a frame, engine and wheels. If it didn't make it go forward it wasn't on there. Very minimal. But it looked sweeet.

• benuk

Posted March 05, 2005 - 02:27 AM

anyone got a link to this 60bhp flat tracker :)

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.