XR 100 Automatic clutch

17 replies to this topic
  • Roostafish

Posted 01 March 2005 - 12:00 PM

Anyone hear of the soon availability of Auto Clutch for XR 100? I heard that Rekluse was working on one.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sidekick

Posted 01 March 2005 - 06:43 PM

Not trying to bash. But why would anyone want an auto clutch over a manual clutch? Just asking.

• wildwatson1

Posted 10 May 2005 - 06:21 PM

woman involved? :)

• Roostafish

Posted 30 June 2005 - 11:51 AM

It is for my wife, and though she's fairly adept with the clutch, the pull is atrocious on the little XR 100. She does great with the TTR 125, but that bike is too tall for her in the woods.

• 99wr400

Posted 30 June 2005 - 12:08 PM

If she cant stand the clutch pull, get the moose easy pull.

• NORTEXED

Posted 30 June 2005 - 12:37 PM

I know what you mean about the clutch pull on the 100's. I changed my wifes handle and perch to a CR, but it really didn't help that much. The cable is like new, I guess they just didn't give them much leverage at the case. My 400 is like butter compared to her's.

• 150stocker

Posted 30 June 2005 - 01:19 PM

It didn't help??? Mine is like night and day difference over the xr100 perch. They make CR80 perches with more leverage which makes it alot easier.

• racejmac

Posted 30 June 2005 - 01:57 PM

What ever you can do to keep the ol Lady from getting muscles and whippin you is a good thing...

• mauricedorris

Posted 02 July 2005 - 03:59 PM

Don't bother with the cr80/85 clutch and perch. I have got two brand new ones sitting here for anyone that want to give me a few bucks (check ebay soon!).

There is an ealier post by a someone who gave good instructions on how to put a set screw into the existing clutch to pull the lever closer to the handlebar (adjusting the reach).

When you do this, it alters the dynamics of the clutch dramatically. Let me put it this way...

I was struggling trying to teach the proper operation of the clutch to my 9 and 11 year old daughters. I was unsure if they were bad students or if I was a bad teacher (probably more of the latter)

When I did this simple procedure ($20 and 20 mins) the clutch became very manageable for my 9 year old and she is shifting very well through 3 gears after only two hours. Short clutch reach helps in that it is much much easier to pull in and you can also remove all of the play so that the "friction zone" is almost immediate. Trust me, that helps.

On top of it, adjust your idle a little higher so that the bike isn't so prone to shut off.

• CraZ DrtRider17

Posted 02 July 2005 - 05:48 PM

Not trying to bash. But why would anyone want an auto clutch over a manual clutch? Just asking.

no idea, sounds dumb to me :)

• fmxwilly1

Posted 02 July 2005 - 11:52 PM

How does it affect it does it make it easier to pull or what

• mauricedorris

Posted 03 July 2005 - 08:44 AM

Adjusting the reach closer makes it a lot easier to pull. Your grip and control will always be much stronger as you close your hand more. With your hand open and fingers extended open more, you have less strength.

The "friction zone" is usually set further out, where the strength of the left hand will be at its weakest point. That's why moving it closer is the best solution for small hands.

In this case it sounds as if the wife is rather petite. Afterall, the tt125 is a bit tall, indicating someone who is smaller.

With a smaller hand, you still have to adjust the reach closer. The cr80 perch and lever will not help much with that. I know this from personal experience.

This is the procedure I did. It worked perfectly.

http://www.thumperta...307#post1728307

Posted 03 July 2005 - 11:30 PM

isnt there a way to adjust it to wear she can pull it easier?

• Youngr51

Posted 04 July 2005 - 08:44 AM

Never ever take up all the freeplay in a clutch. It will cost you a expensive trip to the store to get clutch plates. Maybe try the moose easy pull, it is pretty involved to instal i believe. I think the cr perch is your best bet though. That set screw sounds like a easy way to burn it up though.

• Dan Wask

Posted 04 July 2005 - 09:19 AM

The cr80 perch worked awesome on my bike, although, I did put it on when I was installing my new bars that have a different bend.

• klxd

Posted 04 July 2005 - 01:03 PM

Never ever take up all the freeplay in a clutch. It will cost you a expensive trip to the store to get clutch plates. Maybe try the moose easy pull, it is pretty involved to instal i believe. I think the cr perch is your best bet though. That set screw sounds like a easy way to burn it up though.

You still allow some play. This fix limits the throw. It's like having a lot of play but the screw keeps the lever from returning all the way.

Posted 04 July 2005 - 04:34 PM

Is it really that hard to pull??

• 150stocker

Posted 04 July 2005 - 05:22 PM

Not really, I was never bothered by the clutch pull untill I got HD clutch springs

Related Content

Forums
Photo

'02 XR200 Adventure/Mountain Bike by mx4god

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR/CRF 80-200
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

XR200R Modification Guide by Quick Draw

• Hot  290 replies
Forums
Photo

Honda CRF 100, BBR 120cc big bore piston kit?! by nnac7270

• 12 replies
Forums
Photo

what kind of dirt bike should i get by tim1511

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Unknown Age of Bike by Wanna_Torque_About_It?

• 6 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

Register Close
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.