XR 650 Turbo

10 replies to this topic
  • The_viking

Posted March 01, 2005 - 10:21 AM

A guy over here in Sweden has put a Turbo on his Xr 650 with good result. I don´t know if that´s new for you guys. It puts out 102,6 hp/7400rpm 98,7Nm/7400rpm on the back wheel. That´s with "only" 0,75 bar over load presure he says that the bike can handle 1,0 bar without problems, then the power should be about 130 hp.

• brrpr

Posted March 01, 2005 - 03:03 PM

yeah we have seen it. 3-4 times in the last couple years on here.

also there was a guy who raced that in Dakar 2 years ago.

does the Turbo King want to make a guest appearence here and tell us about it?

lots of questions.... :)

• HeadTrauma

Posted March 01, 2005 - 11:40 PM

yeah we have seen it. 3-4 times in the last couple years on here.

also there was a guy who raced that in Dakar 2 years ago.

More like every 4-5 weeks, at least since I've been here. Welcome to 2003.....

• irondude

Posted March 02, 2005 - 10:31 AM

More like every 4-5 weeks, at least since I've been here. Welcome to 2003.....

I remeber 2003, '03 was a freind of mine. Mr. - you werent around in 2003!

IMHO

theres only one topic left that hasnt been covered multiple times in the last few years:

[COLOR=DarkRed]when did the rat-bike crowd take over the 600/650 forum[/COLOR]?!!

:)

• Old_Man_Time

Posted March 02, 2005 - 10:49 AM

I remember a while back this being discussed, even some photos of the bike. To me, unless you have lots of money and are a big speed freak it isn't practicle. Turbo in cars almost always reduces lifespan and long term reliability. Didn't Honda actually install it as an option on their Silverwing line? Seems to me it was dangerous (hit hard) and you would have great difficulty finding a running unit around now.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • irondude

Posted March 02, 2005 - 11:08 AM

Honda had two (very similar) models with OEM turbo's in the early 1980's....i rode one at the time--the 'hit' really was dangerous onthe street--wheelied a second or two AFTER you might have wanted a wheelie!!

but the new turbos are different. i love my turbo-diesel truck...and most cars in Italy are now turbo-diesel....still its role in dirt biking is a bit hard to follow...

so come on Mr. Sweedish Turbo King-- come and tell us about it!

• HeadTrauma

Posted March 02, 2005 - 09:41 PM

Quality turbo cars frequently last in excess of 180,000 miles, so I wouldnt say they reduce much lifespan.

As for the "hit" on Hondas road bikes, that has alot to do with how the turbine is sized. If the turbine air ratio was a bit bigger, the turbo wouldnt spool until higher rpm when you're more likely to want/expect it to kick. The other way is with an electronic programmable boost controller that can make boost come on smoothly.

For a road bike I can see the application, but on the dirt I agree the use is limited. On pavement you have enough traction to use that kind of power, but I doubt that even 75hp is very useable anyhwere but miles of straight hardpack or sand(like Dakar).

• The Bossman

Posted June 27, 2005 - 02:04 PM

I for one would like more detailed information on the combination. Is it that hard to move your eyes past a topic you've already seen once?

• SNEAKY

Posted June 30, 2005 - 05:45 AM

i think i will leave the turbos on my car:D

• ghoti

Posted June 30, 2005 - 07:12 AM

I for one would like more detailed information on the combination. Is it that hard to move your eyes past a topic you've already seen once?

There's pictures on page 2 of this forum.

• justicedone

Posted June 30, 2005 - 10:00 PM

I dont have a car with a turbo and never have (driven a 300Z with twins though). And I never saw any stuff here or online about this topic...but

About a week ago, I had a strange dream where I had installed a Turbo on my 03 XR650L..It was insane! I was riding up the street and the Turbo would wind up in 2nd and start whining and then just take off like a CBR1000rr rocket !

Was a funny dream, and reading this post is even funnier.

Deja Vu ?

I think I just miss the speed of my CBR sometimes..lol

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.