fork seals already gone

26 replies to this topic
  • postalrider

Posted March 05, 2005 - 08:31 PM

did you ever see a inverted fork that didnt leak?i have started using a .003 feeler guage to clean my seals and then repacking with grease.after reading this forum i am going to order the seal savers and give them a try.THE DISTRAUGHT POSTAL RIDER

• Indy_WR450

Posted March 07, 2005 - 05:39 AM

I have been surprised at how many riders live in denial! :) Seal Savers are cheap and they work! :) I have yet to have one fork seal leak on mine with rolling them up and proper cleaning you will never have fork seal issues! :p

• JeffWR

Posted March 09, 2005 - 04:45 AM

How far do you roll them up and do they stretch out a lot? I just ordered a pair. Thanks for your input. Jeff

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dez4ever

Posted March 09, 2005 - 10:02 AM

I've also heard that the 48mm Kayaba forks are much more prone to leaking than the 46mm.

• kywr450r

Posted March 09, 2005 - 10:24 AM

Soil-type and humidity (water) have a huge impact on what will fix leaking fork seal leaks on WR's. I experienced the most problems with my seals when riding near the Daniel Boone National Forest in Kentucky. The soil at DBNF is solid clay (very fine particles) and when the clay gets wet, it covers your forks in a thin "cement-like" coating after they dry out. Truckloads of sand were hauled onto the park's fire trails to minimize MX ruts and damage to the trails.

The sand was a good idea, but disastrous to WR fork seals. Not only did the clay dry like a thin hard cement-like coating, the sand also dried into the clay! The net result, the fork tubes were like sandpaper as they rubbed the seals.

In summary, Seal Savers and Yamaha replacement seals did a great job at making my fork seals last in most riding conditions. However, this combination resulted in a useful life of a weekend when exposed to a mixture of clay, sand and water. The stiffer Honda seals and SealSavers have so far proven to hold up in all conditions!!! (see previous post below)

===Previous Post=======
I fought the battle with leaking fork seals on my 03 WR for the first six months of ownership. Tried everything...Seal Savers, cleaning with photo film, new Yamaha seals, brace on tire when using tie-down straps. In frustration, I took it to RaceTech... they replaced the seals with Honda seals (same diameter, stiffer rubber). They haven't leaked a drop since. In short, the Yamaha seals (all three sets are junk!!!)

• Indy_WR450

Posted March 09, 2005 - 01:15 PM

How far do you roll them up and do they stretch out a lot? I just ordered a pair. Thanks for your input. Jeff

I buy the long ones and cut them down into 3 pairs of 4" long Seal Savers.
Then I only have 3" of material past the dust seal and use a cable tie to hold it above the dust seal on the outer fork body. I roll up the Seal Saver over the dust seal and completely clean the inside of the seal savers and roll them back down. I have carbon fiber lower fork guards that make this easier. :)

• Indy_WR450

Posted March 09, 2005 - 01:20 PM

In summary, Seal Savers and Yamaha replacement seals did a great job at making my fork seals last in most riding conditions. However, this combination resulted in a useful life of a weekend when exposed to a mixture of clay, sand and water. The stiffer Honda seals and SealSavers have so far proven to hold up in all conditions!!!

I ride Redbird and S- Tree a lot. I always clean under my seal savers after every weekend and have no issues with the stock Yamaha fork seals but if the Honda's are better so be it. :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.