05 Yz450f

5 replies to this topic

Posted March 01, 2005 - 07:00 AM

I have one of these bikes and race a lot of harescrambles. I am thinking of purchasing a 05 WR. Or am I better off setting the 450F up for harescrambles? I know the bike with the 4 speed in it is a little too much. I have added a 10 ounce Zip Ty Weight. What other things can I do to make it better. I am a A-AA Rider? Any suggestions would be great. What is the better bike?

• ncmountainman

Posted March 01, 2005 - 07:51 AM

if your A rider don't even think about the WR. i run VET-B and its just not up to it. tooo top heavy,put a rekluse in a yz 450 and you'll be much happier. i'll be switching in the fall.

• paulson

Posted March 01, 2005 - 07:54 AM

I would keep to the yz i love mine for scrambles. i had the same dilemma when i was buying a thumper. if you do the math with the gearing the wr only has about 5 to 7 mph in top speed diff. that is pinned on a strait. as far as rideability i used the power now with a factory 4 pipe and a 10oz as well and on the 05 this seems to be a good combo for me pulls harder from idle and revs out little longer and just smoother all the way through. you don't need that mid range hit if you in the saddle for 3hrs at a time it will break a mortal b class rider such as myself.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed

Posted March 01, 2005 - 08:24 AM

Did you do any changes on the sprockets, I heard to add a few teeth in the rear. Let me know anything else that you did to the bike.

• paulson

Posted March 01, 2005 - 08:55 PM

I did jet up 2 on the main they seem a little lean out the door I'm at 2800 elevation the power bomb with the factory 4 is what i would try for scrambles. other than that i haven't done any more to the motor. I left the stock sprocket on for now it seems to work for me.

• RussVCHSS

Posted March 02, 2005 - 09:36 AM

The bike is pretty good in stock form. All I added was the stainless filter(although not for performance), Pro-Tapers with GPR and hand guards, O-ring chain with iron-man sprockets, new tires, a skid plate and larger tank...All mods to make it better suited as a woods bike...Nothing that really enhances performance. Although I did just order a new JD jetting kit. The bike likes to get hot and not start sometimes. While I could probably figure it out on my own, race season is starting already and I don't feel like wasting time in a race thinking bout my jetting.

Related Content

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.