steering & gearing

1 reply to this topic
  • funktree

Posted August 13, 2001 - 02:37 PM

I just took my new 01 wr to the track yesterday. I havent been on a mx track in about 8 years, forgot how much fun it is. I was having 2 problems.

1. The bike really wanted to understeer. I would turn full lock and the bike would still be wanting to go straight. I assume this is a problem with not having enough weight on the front wheel. Is this correct? I was gonna try raising forks in the clamps.

2. I had to shift more than I would like. I had to upshift in the air all over the track. Theres a whoop section after a tight lefthander. I would take the corner in second. Hit the first whoop in second and the upshift before I hit the ground. If I didnt make the upshift it would want to throw the ass end up on the last couple whoops. My wr is still bone stock. I was hoping that going to yz timing, no airbox cover, and a white bros e series might make it so I can ride out a gear longer and still have power. Its a canadian wr so I dont have the throttle stop or grey wire.

Thanks all, Ive learned alot from you guys already.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • x400racer

Posted August 13, 2001 - 07:35 PM

I had a 99 wr400 with the normal yz mods and raced at Glen Helen and other local tracks with better than expected results. As for your turning problem I think droping the clamps will help, also the yz tank/seat combo will help. I raced with stock & yz combo and the yz helps. With the normal motor mods & susp. tuning you will find that your wr needs less shifting than a yz-I have rode a yz and to much work on a tight track.Good luck.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.