00 YZ426F Engine Noise!

44 replies to this topic
  • rws

Posted March 03, 2005 - 04:11 AM

Hey everyone... I really appreciate all your feedback. I know this is an "old issue" for most of you and revisiting it again [and again and again] is probably getting boring... but for us "new thumpers" there are some things that we just need to learn. I'm off to do my Air Force Reserve duty so I won't get to work on my bike for the rest of the week.. but when I return I'll certainly follow the suggestions that you have provided.

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions... they've been a great help both technically and mentally [darn thing is wigging me out! ]

The bike does run very well... I know... a trip to the audio store to get some acoustic insulation! That should quiet things down! :)

Hope everyone has a great weekend riding!

• Birdie426

Posted March 03, 2005 - 05:06 AM

I "discovered" the same thing...I had never started my WR426 without my helmet on (yes, it's true! Gotta set the example for the little guy to NEVER ride without a helmet...), and when I put hotcams in a month ago I started it in the garage to break in the cams. I shut it down right away thinking that maybe the cam chain tensioner wasn't extended all the way. It was. The guides all looked fine. The sprockets were new. The oil has always been clean. I put it back together and started it again. Still the same. Lots of rubbing, clicking and clacking...machine noises. I called the wife out to the garage, and she laughed her ass off. Said that it's always sounded like that, and so do all my friends YZs and WRs. So, I called my buds, held up the phone, and thay confirmed. Yup, our bikes sound like that too. Have since new.

Keep an eye on the oil filter, change oil often, and enjoy.

• rws

Posted March 04, 2005 - 04:06 PM

Birdie426:

LOL! As I was reading your reply I was re-living the exact moments when I went through it. My wife just said "that don't sound good"...

I'm thinking about starting a support group for those of us having to deal with this phenominon that Yamaha has produced! "Bullet proof" motor that drives us crazy with the clanking and clunking! :)

I definately appreciate the support group sharing experiences :)

Happy trails [or tracks] to you!

• ThrakenH04

Posted March 04, 2005 - 04:27 PM

Birdie426:

LOL! As I was reading your reply I was re-living the exact moments when I went through it. My wife just said "that don't sound good"...

I'm thinking about starting a support group for those of us having to deal with this phenominon that Yamaha has produced! "Bullet proof" motor that drives us crazy with the clanking and clunking! :p

I definately appreciate the support group sharing experiences :)

Happy trails [or tracks] to you!

These "clanking and clunking bullet proof" motors will last longer then those bigbore Honda CRF motors. :) :D

• rws

Posted March 04, 2005 - 10:32 PM

These "clanking and clunking bullet proof" motors will last longer then those bigbore Honda CRF motors. :D :)

ThrakenH04:

I'm sure hoping that's the case! Once the weather warms a little I'm looking forward to riding the bike much more than working on it :)

You know...that red-glowing header pipe is another thing that will take some getting used to also. :p

• John_Lorenz

Posted March 05, 2005 - 06:09 AM

My 2000 is noisy, so is my buddies 2002 wr426, Its a Thumper, they make allot of noise.

Now with that

A Thumper owners knows his engine sounds, if the sounds have changed stay true to your feelings. maybe a water pump for sure. But I installed a rekluse clutch on my 2000 then opted to go witht he Rekluse Clutch cover.

When I di that my bike sounded like a Ducati Dry Clutch if you stood behind and to the right of the bike. :) Drove me nuts, swapped back the original and sound went away :)

Now I put on a White Brothers E2 Exhaust taking off the R4 (LOUD) and Noises appeared out of the wood work.

Moral of the story, Its a Thumper and makes noise

• rws

Posted March 07, 2005 - 04:32 AM

John_Lorenz:

Definately sound [no pun intended] advice. I will continue to fine tune my ear to the sounds of the bike and remain diligent on the maintenance. I sure love riding this thing!!! Just want to be able to relax and not worry about it coming apart beneath me.

I am going to check out the water pump.

Then... I'm going riding! Thanks again for the feedback.

• SSpeeDEMONSS

Posted March 07, 2005 - 10:05 AM

at least our bikes dont have gear driven cams. you'd really think there was something wrong then. oh well, as long as the noise is consistent, dont worry about it. i dont even notice any "noises" coming from my bike. and the one time i did it wasnt pretty.

• gunship426

Posted March 07, 2005 - 11:40 AM

i have a 02 yz426 and its noisy also. i dont know why. i put a large skid plat on it and man the noise was amplafide alot almost scary.

• rws

Posted March 17, 2005 - 03:48 AM

sanpedro426,

It took me a while but I did finally get around to covering the clutch cover like you mentioned. Low and behold... the noise volume definately changes. The amplifying cavity behind that large cover sure seems to play a role in the volume of the noise.

Now I'm planning on pulling the cover and making sure that nothing has come loose in there.

I had an oppurtunity to listen to a riding buddies 02 YZ426... although it made some noise... it didn't quite make the same noise that my bike is currently making. So... the search continues and if I find it... I'll be sure to post the answer to this mystery!

Until then... I'm gonna ride and try to enjoy it despite the clanking that's going on down there! :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Jeremiah

Posted March 17, 2005 - 12:00 PM

Well I know this is older, but I'm new and I want to relay the same message about my 426. It's noisy, but reliable as can be. I've also never had a problem that wasn't self-inflicted...like someone else said.

I'll have to hold/put pressure on the clutch cover and see if that's where my noise is coming from. Mine noises aren't clanking and clicking, but more of a...hmmm...hard to describe. Anyway, I had a pro mechanic check it out a while back because I was concerned, but he couldn't find anything.

I figure, if the noise doesn't change, then I'll ride it until something goes wrong. (Hopefully it's not the lower-end!)

• rws

Posted April 12, 2005 - 03:00 PM

Jeremiah,

I just came back to revisit this thread. I wanted to report that I too have decided that the bike is just noisy. I've compared with another 426 and the noise is about the same. So like you decided... I'll ride and see if anything changes. Until then... the bike is running great and I'm looking forward to getting on the track tomorrow.

It's my birthday and I'm treating myself to a day off work and at the track riding! :naughty:

• Guest_BrandonV_*

Posted April 12, 2005 - 03:35 PM

It's my birthday and I'm treating myself to a day off work and at the track riding! :naughty:

Good for you and Happy Birthday!

My 2000 is rather noisy too, but no worse than any others I've heard. They are just noisy bastards. If the noise sounds likes its coming from the bottom end then be sure to check that straight key, I'm changing mine out while I have the motor apart just for peice of mind. Have fun Brotha!

• rws

Posted April 22, 2005 - 03:50 AM

BrandonV,

I went riding at the track (last Wednesday) and rode pretty good for about 3 hours or so. The bike seems to be running just fine. The noise is really annoying but at this point doesn't seem to be destructive. So... like many of my fellow 426 owners... I'm learning to live with it and keep a careful ear to it. Perhaps as it's been stated by so many others... the motors are "bullet-proof" but just not "sound-proof".

Thanks for the encouragement... now go out and ride! :naughty:

• Harty

Posted April 24, 2005 - 03:12 AM

I bought a 450 a couple of days ago, and it seemed rattly, knocking a little, but I heard they were like that. I took it into the dealer the next day, he started it up for 5 seconds and said it's the bottom end bearings. It hadn't been ridden for a year due to injury and moisture had seeped through the pipe and corroded the bearings!!!, hard to believe, even harder to believe a dealer can diagnose a bike without opening it up. Rather than risk it I took it back and got my money back...phew..

pays to keep riding them...

• biznet1

Posted April 24, 2005 - 05:17 AM

I bought a 450 a couple of days ago, and it seemed rattly, knocking a little, but I heard they were like that. I took it into the dealer the next day, he started it up for 5 seconds and said it's the bottom end bearings. It hadn't been ridden for a year due to injury and moisture had seeped through the pipe and corroded the bearings!!!, hard to believe, even harder to believe a dealer can diagnose a bike without opening it up. Rather than risk it I took it back and got my money back...phew..

pays to keep riding them...

I wouldn't let him work on it just yet. I'm not at all an expert with engines, but I found another thread where a guy said that an HONEST dealer told him that there were three nuts that were notorious for getting loose in the clutch side cover. I pull my cover (the whole thing, not just the clutch access) and sure enough, my primary gear nut was loose enough to rattle. No more noise!

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=241749 scroll down to brucer7's post.

• RRmike

Posted August 15, 2005 - 03:44 PM

Did you ever figure this out? I am having the same problem to a TEE

• cbff33

Posted August 15, 2005 - 04:19 PM

It more than likely is the keyway or straight key, or whatever anyone calls if from day to day. The keyway is very soft metal, and the torque from the engine deforms it just enough to make a good rattle/grind sound come from your engine. Mine rattled and when fixing this keyway, I also found the main gear was loose, increasing rattle. After repair, it still makes noise, but not as bad as what it did. Replace the keyway every so often, before it shears and you have a small chunk of metal floating in your oil. You need to remove the clutch basket to get to it. You will know it when you see it, because yamaha didn't use spline gears at that time. Some of the post referring to this noise, some guys went out and found a harder metal to use in the key slot, which is extending the life. Otherwise if you ride alot you could potentially replace it yearly.

• RRmike

Posted August 15, 2005 - 06:30 PM

Thanks, that was definitely it and its now fixed.. I reposted in the thread I started about the bike.

Its a replacement motor and was very pissed when I heard what sounded like a *****ed cam chain - which is what happened to the original 2001 motor.

• DaveJ

Posted August 15, 2005 - 09:46 PM

Look at it this way.

Let's assume that noises are not acceptable...except those coming from your exhaust pipe or your shorts.

Then ask yourself this.

1. Does the noise only occur at idle?

2. Does the noise get louder or progress when you rev the engine?

If it's only at idle, it's most likely a keyway or the water pump. Assuming you verified that the piston is not slapping around...which I doubt.

If it does not go away above idle, it's usually something to do with the crank or cam drive. Not always, but usually. Crank and cam drive problems are also less prevalent when the engine is cold, since the oil is thicker, whereas keyway and water pump problems are always noisy.

By the way, a handy tool is an auto-mechanic version of a stethoscope. Lisle tools make them and they can be had at most auto part stores. You can also use a sharp tip screwdriver with the metal tip placed at various locations on the engine and tranny, and your ear on the tip of the plastic handle. It will take some time, but you can often narrow things down a bit using this method.

Additionally, if you had this bike for some time and have never cleaned the generator magnets, it certainly won't hurt to break things down a bit.

DaveJ

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.