yz450f or yz250???

4 replies to this topic
  • gdbarr1976

Posted February 28, 2005 - 11:34 AM

I am considering going from a yz250f to either a yz450f or a yz250 two stroke. I ride enduros and hare scrambles. I know this is a broad question but any input would be appreciated. Also does a yz250f flywheel fit a yz450f? I am also concerned about the 4 spd tranny. Is this a issue. And just so you know, I have been down the wr road and am not interested. Thanks.

• Jetsprint2

Posted February 28, 2005 - 01:26 PM

Search the forum for this question, it seems like we get one like it every week. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted February 28, 2005 - 02:08 PM

The YZ450 flywheel is not interchangeable with any other YZF that I know of. You can get high quality flywheels with the weights welded in place from Dr.D and Yamaha (GYT-R) in 4, 5 (GYT-R...standard on an '04 YZ450), 6, 7 (GYT-R), and 8 ounces added weight.

The four speed is not as big a deal as people like to make it out to be. If you gear the bike to have a low gear that is as high as that on a YZ426, fourth gear ends up being 2/3 of the way up between the 426's 4th and 5th. The result is that there is barely 3mph difference in the "on paper" top speed of the two bikes. I know mine does 89+ with such gearing, and it works for me.

You can install the complete WR450 5spd if you want, and that actually makes a pretty nice mod. You get a lower 1st, the same 2, 3, and 4, and then a big ol' 5th on top. Cost you $700, though.

• WRookie

Posted February 28, 2005 - 10:35 PM

I rode my first hare scramble yesterday. It was at an mx track that was flagged with a lot of extra tight turns and extended to include some steep but short climbs/descents. I wish I would have taken the old wr instead of the yz. I'm not very talented yet on the yz and can accept that. That said, I felt like a complete idiot out there. I fell and stalled more times than I can count. Got ran over once. At the "hop the 8 telephone poles" section I was really wishing for a lower first gear. Stalled a lot there. More gas would have helped I know but at that point I was not capable of throttle control, clutch work and body position at once. This was a team event so I even got to rest between laps. Call me whatever you want. I think you should take another look at the wr's.

• ncmountainman

Posted March 01, 2005 - 06:33 AM

I am considering going from a yz250f to either a yz450f or a yz250 two stroke. I ride enduros and hare scrambles. I know this is a broad question but any input would be appreciated. Also does a yz250f flywheel fit a yz450f? I am also concerned about the 4 spd tranny. Is this a issue. And just so you know, I have been down the wr road and am not interested. Thanks.

i have my wr tricked out for HS ,BUT the thing is very top heavy. even after taking off over 20lbs of unwanted parts! its at 247 wet w/out gas right now. i got on a 05 yz 450 and the thing feels like a feather compared to mine!!! i'm thinkin' throw a rekluse on it,go up a couple teeth in the rear,and you'd never know it had a tall 1st gear. i don't ever get out of 4th in a race anyhow,here in the east. my other consideration is the yz250 with a L.A. sleeve 330 kit,woods it out. 56 hp to the rear wheel !!!! for just over a grand. most all the HS,and GNCC winners are running 250 2-smokes. a little food for thought :)

Related Content

Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.