BK, Jetting, cracked skulls - here we go again

4 replies to this topic
  • Paewraul

Posted February 28, 2005 - 10:49 AM

I have an 01 with all the free mods and JD jet kit and I've been bashing my head against the wall. I did the BK mod, but it doesn't seem to make a difference in performance. I can see that the ap squirt duration is changing, but I can't get it to fix that off idle, whack it open bog at all! Wether is set long or short, it doesn't seem to change anything.

Also, when riding late fall the bike was awesome. Much more power, although same problems. ....So I'm thinking I may be running rich in the summer, and the cooler air is leaning out my mix? Should I turn in the fuel screw or should I be messing with needles again. I have not had good luck with playing with the carb so far. Is it possible to get her to act in the summer like she did befor I put her to bed for the winter, or am I stuck with waiting for the cold air to come back in late fall? I'm looking for help in set-up to get it to run like the winter for the summer months.

My old signature had all my settings, but its gone now!

• Oasis_Flame

Posted February 28, 2005 - 11:28 AM

Good Luck, you are not going to remove all of the bog. Most but not all. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Paewraul

Posted March 08, 2005 - 12:59 PM

turning the screw doesn't seem to have any effect.

• Pooley

Posted March 16, 2005 - 06:37 AM

Id check to see that the pushrod is moving freely and not dirty and stuck. The best way to check is to use a video camera (or digital camera in movie mode) and film the squirt. You can count the frames and determine the EXACT duration of the squirt.

I also have the 01 426, free mods, JD kit and stock pipe. I forget my exact jetting at the moment but you need to make sure you have the correct pilot jet first. There was an excellent link on how to correctly adjust your pilot, but it was a while ago. What it involved was using a tachometer at different fuel screw settings to check if you have the right pilot.

Once you are sure you have the correct pilot for your temp and elevation its time to adjust the BK. Not all bikes are the same, where 0.5 seconds is the accepted normal squirt...I had to go to almost 1 sec to eliminate the bog (its not totally gone but 90%). I guess my riding style is different enough that the half second squirt dont work for me.

I can check my jetting setup when i get home and repost. But I think im using a 42 pilot in Michigan at about 700ft elevation.

• Raistlin

Posted March 16, 2005 - 07:17 AM

Have you tried changing your leak jet?? Changing to a smaller leak jet might very well cure your off idle bogg. Do a search on leak jets and read all the info. There is a lot of info out there.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.