This just can't be right!!!???

5 replies to this topic
  • pchansen

Posted February 28, 2005 - 10:26 AM

Took the BRP out for a ride yesterday- put a good hard 80 miles on her. Had some concerns over my valve adust I did last week. Also replaced the 68s pilot for a 70 to help with the dreaded off idle hesitatiion.
The bike is now a one kick wonder, power is up but... still some excessive valve ticking(to me anyway) and now when I start a warm bike I kick through until I'm at TDC- pull in a little compression release, move the piston past TDC and whack- one kick and were off- usually. I kicked(slowly) the bike about ten times looking for the teltale resistance of TDC and never found it. Out of curiousity, tried to start the bike and it fired right up!!?? I looked at the compression release cable and it was slack. What is going on? Again, the bike makes good power.
Also, as a side the bike is un-corked, am running a full FMF Q with PowerBomb header, 175/70/b53e needle in the 4th position- temp was 40 degrees at an average elevation of 1500'. In some tight areas the bike started to boil. It has never done that in any conditions before.

• cat0020

Posted February 28, 2005 - 11:21 AM

That's the way it should run.. start on first kick.

Noisy valve=happy valve.. it's when they get quiet that you need to check the clearance rightaway..

• motorick426

Posted February 28, 2005 - 01:32 PM

I know this is not what you posted about, but how do you like the FMF exhaust system, what did it do to the power?

Thanks, Rick

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • pchansen

Posted February 28, 2005 - 01:33 PM

Yeah I kinda thought the valve noise was OK- still a little concerned about the lack of compression when turning the motor over. The more I think about it I wonder if it has something to do with the auto-decompressor feature. Would adjusting the valves also affect the auto-decompressor?

• big t

Posted February 28, 2005 - 01:48 PM

You should re-adjust the decompresser lever after the valve adjustment.

• pchansen

Posted February 28, 2005 - 10:38 PM

The bike was purchased with the FMF system installed so I can't comment on the before and after. I can say that I love the system though. As we all know the bike has amazing power but the FMF is lighter, sounds good (and is legal),and looks good too. Hope that helps.

Related Content

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

1993 XR600R rebuild by ove

• Hot  41 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.