carb adjustment help needed

I have a 2003 yz450f which i have just put in a new piston and rings and new valve seals. I also raised the needle one position to take care of the popping on deceleration. Now when i start my bike i have to hold in the hotstart lever for it to run...as soon as i let go of it..the bike shuts off...any suggestions would be greatly appreciated....thanks

You have to do it by "feel" really. Usually decel popping can be fixed with about 1/2 turn or so out. Depends on how bad it's popping.

So, figure out your current FS setting by counting the number of turns IN until it is lightly seated. Then return it to where it was.

Next, put the needle back to the position you had.

Now ride the bike and get it good and warm. Bring it back in and turn the FS out about 1/4 turn at a time until the decel popping "just" goes away while riding. I actually prefer my bike to have just a small amount of popping here and there - that's where I think you get the snappiest response. If you have to go more than 2.5 turns total, put in the next larger pilot jet.

Im having trouble getting my bike to run good so I have been reading all posts about carb settings. I was wondering what the plate on the carb slide is and how I can tell if it is upside down or right side up? Thanks.

no...the plate is on the motor side of the carb....when u take the top cover off the carb u should see a gold phillips screw and an allen screw....if u remove the phillips screw and take out the slide the plate is on the motor side....be careful because it will fall off if u dont have a hold of it...and if it's on upside down it won't allow enough air into the motor....just remember the flat side of the plate goes down.....