yamaha 426 jetting problems

6 replies to this topic
  • desertfox89

Posted February 27, 2005 - 07:28 PM

hello everybody I'm having problems with my jetting on my 426 i bought it new in 2002 and try ed different settings and I'm still fouling plugs i started with stock setting witch are 162 main,42 pilot, and needle is on #4 position.
i changed to a 155 main and dropped the needle one position and left the pilot at 42. my pilot screw is about 1.5 turns out . i am riding at about 4 to 6500 elevation and temps around 40 to 90 degrees. I'm steel fouling plugs and most of the time its hard to start. if somebody could help with my jetting problems i would be sooooo happy thanks

• elburro

Posted February 27, 2005 - 07:53 PM

I have only had this bike for about 6 mo. and i did have to change the plug because it was becoming hard to start. not sure if the guy i bought it from putted alot or if there are jetting issues yet, i have not hade the urge to pull the plug and look yet. Mostly because some japanese genius made it real fun to check! :) Good luck ,sorry i can't help.

• skthom2320

Posted February 27, 2005 - 09:00 PM

I would definitely put in a smaller pilot. Try at least a 40 and maybe even a 38. You run what I'm running at sea level! The MJ sounds fine, needle may be OK as well.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • desertfox89

Posted March 04, 2005 - 01:18 PM

thanks ill try 40 pilot this weekend and let you guys no how it worked thanks for the imfo.

• Guest_BrandonV_*

Posted March 04, 2005 - 01:44 PM

Search for motoman 393 site and look for the jetting chart. It'll give you some nice baseline settings for your temp and altitude.

• motodad393

Posted March 04, 2005 - 01:47 PM

hello everybody I'm having problems with my jetting on my 426 i bought it new in 2002 and try ed different settings and I'm still fouling plugs i started with stock setting witch are 162 main,42 pilot, and needle is on #4 position.
i changed to a 155 main and dropped the needle one position and left the pilot at 42. my pilot screw is about 1.5 turns out . i am riding at about 4 to 6500 elevation and temps around 40 to 90 degrees. I'm steel fouling plugs and most of the time its hard to start. if somebody could help with my jetting problems i would be sooooo happy thanks

desertfox89
visit www.motoman393.thumpertalk.com Your questions should be answered! :)

• yz_for_me

Posted March 04, 2005 - 10:10 PM

I have an '01 426 and used this setup when I lived in Colorado. I was riding 5000 to 11000 feet and 50 to 90 degrees with this jetting. It was maybe a touch on the rich side for average conditions, but I didn't foul plugs and I like to run my bikes that way to be on the safe side. I wouldn't hesitate to try a 38 PJ if you want to lean it out some.

Main Jet: 158
Pilot Jet: 40
Needle: OBEJP (I believe this was stock on the '01, not sure about the '02)
Clip: 4th position
Fuel Screw: 1.5 Turns (2 turns if it was cold)

Hope this helps. By the way, as motodad393 pointed out, definately check out Motoman's jetting chart. It's a great reference and will get you in the ballpark.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.