"Dialing In" WR450 Cams

5 replies to this topic
  • HighPlainsWR

Posted February 27, 2005 - 07:27 PM

Anybody out there ever had the WR450 cams "dialed in"?

Taking the WR450 to a race machanic Tuesday who will "dial in" the cams. The drive gears for the cams are pressed on the to the WR450 cam shafts. The service will press on new drive grears to true stock settings, or will press on new drive gears at different degrees to enhance perfromance (YZ?).

Just wondering if anyone has changed the cam degrees from something other than stock using this method?

• Gadsen

Posted February 27, 2005 - 09:43 PM

Its done all the time in race cars. I ts reffered to as "degreeing" the camshaft. But being as these are stock race machines, it may not be too much to improve on, but who knows. Sometimes, its not the one little item that makes the differecne between winning, its a "bunch" of little items stacked together that makes a big difference in winning. :)

• HighPlainsWR

Posted February 28, 2005 - 07:09 PM

Sometimes, its not the one little item that makes the differecne between winning, its a "bunch" of little items stacked together that makes a big difference in winning. :)

You are absolutely right. Up to this point I have done everything mod to max output without modifying the engine internals from stock. It out pulled a KTM 300 2-smoke in the finish section yesterday, so I guess how much is enough? :)

Since the mechanic was going to check/adjust the valves anyway he suggested, as you say, "degreeing" the cam to exact factory specs, or better (?). :p

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • farkawi

Posted February 28, 2005 - 10:01 PM

Yeah, I probably talked to the same dude. The official line that most Yamaha dealers give you is that you must replace the exhaust cam with the YZ cam...However, degree wheels and repositioning the cam sprocket(s) makes the most sense for a precise setup. What I'd "really" like to see is a dyno chart before and after the procedure.

• RichBaker

Posted March 01, 2005 - 03:16 PM

Better have him weld the gears when he does it, there have been reports of the gears slipping on the cams and going out of time.....

• HighPlainsWR

Posted March 01, 2005 - 07:53 PM

Good idea. I'll ask to have a torque and horsepower curve profile on the dyno after "degreeing" the cams. Bruce at Vickery Motorsports is doing the work. He's very good. I passed on porting the head since all the mass air flow has to pass through an FMF Q pipe anyway......

But having an additional performance edge is OK too. :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.