Lots of valve noise.

5 replies to this topic
  • marcmo0

Posted February 27, 2005 - 07:00 PM

I just revived an 88 xr 600r and it makes a lot of noise (pinging). I have heard that the RFVC engines are noisy, but don't know what that means exactly? Will adjusting the valve clearances fix it? Any other suggestions?

• frankstr

Posted February 28, 2005 - 05:15 AM

Definitly worth checking the valve lash....
Is it ticking or actually pinging under load :)

• marcmo0

Posted March 01, 2005 - 04:46 PM

It pings loudly. I have adjusted the valve clearances (they actually weren't that off). What do you think could be the culprit?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • frankstr

Posted March 01, 2005 - 05:44 PM

Maybe it's running lean, Check the spark plug and make sure it's the right one :)
It's possible the pilot jet or main jet is gummed up making it run lean......
Check for air leak's, A engine running lean will ping.. :)
You have super in the tank, right :p

• marcmo0

Posted March 01, 2005 - 08:07 PM

What are your thoughts on octane booster for an old bike? It has been years since I have torn into a bike. I just inherited this old xr. I actually got it up and running on Saturday. I was able to take it around the block a few times. It didn't run perfect. It seemed to lose power as I got about about mid throttle. The idle and low rpm was great for its vintage. Yesterday, it started very briefly and the motor stopped running when I gave it gas on the test run. What do you know about carbs and jetting? I live in CO and from what I have read, it seems like the bike was jetted properly. But I am definitely not a carburetor god. I definitely appreciate the help.

• smashinz2002

Posted March 01, 2005 - 08:57 PM

Like the other guys said, first of all, make sure you don't have an air leak around the intake boot. Remove the carb, and remove the pilot jet and main jet. Clean them. Then spray out the entire carb with B-12. Every single tiny hole must be clean and open. Make sure the float is adjusted to the correct height also, you need a shop manual.
Check and make sure you're not running a plug that is too hot. Start by installing the standard plug.
The bike should be jetted fairly rich, all big singles like to run rich, and it helps in Colorado to run it a tad bit rich even at altitude, to prevent overheating at low speeds. Jet it for the lowest altitude you'll be riding there, that way it won't be lean when you come down off the mountains. Not sloppy, sooty rich, but just rich enough to keep it cool at lower trail speeds. Works best when the airbox and exhaust are opened up as much as possible too.
You'll need a shop manual, worth the investment. Valve adjustments are tricky if you're not familiar with how to do it right. Too loose valves will make a ticking sound, too tight, and well, that's just very bad to have them too tight. Power is lost either way, too loose or too tight, they have to be just right.
Not knowing how much time is on the engine, it's hard to say if the cam chain is worn out or not, or, if the piston is covered up in carbon, causing the pinging. There's really no way to know without taking it down and looking at it.
The XR600 should not be a noisy engine, the XR650R, yes, is mechanically very noisy, but the old 600's should be nice and quiet.
Good luck with it!
L.L.

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.