Fuel Screw Question

3 replies to this topic
  • Seabass

Posted February 27, 2005 - 05:52 PM

When I first installed the ZipTy fuel mixture screw on my '05 WR 450 it would start to sputter and almost die when the screw was turned in all the way. So far so good folks.
But I went to adjust my fuel screw last night and this morning I adjusted the fuel screw in all the way my bike ran OK :) It just sputtered slightly but hardly died like before. Could I have adjusted the screw too far in? If not why wouldn't my bike almost die like it normally did before?Hmmmmm, I confused

Also my bike won't start unless the choke is out and dies as soon as I push the choke in. My bike started fine this morning but after a race I did the blue beast started givin' me trouble. Could this in any way be related to my fuel screw prob? I don't know why it would but I don't know jack about jetting and fuel screw adjustments

• backinthedirt

Posted February 27, 2005 - 08:30 PM

When you turn the fuel screw all the way in you are cutting off the fuel to the idle circut. Back it out about 1 to 1 1/2 turns and see how it runs. If it doesn't idle good you might try backing out another half turn. If you find that it takes 2 1/2 turns or more then you need the next size pilot jet. Something you might try..........

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • WheelsUp

Posted February 27, 2005 - 08:46 PM

The ZipTy screw is soft aluminum. If you have ever screwed it in all the way and given it an extra touch to make sure it was "closed", you likely grooved it, which destroyed the tapered seating surface.
Take it all the way out and see if it has a groove around the tip.

Why would you want to run it all the way in anyways?

• Seabass

Posted February 28, 2005 - 03:31 PM

The ZipTy screw is soft aluminum. If you have ever screwed it in all the way and given it an extra touch to make sure it was "closed", you likely grooved it, which destroyed the tapered seating surface.
Take it all the way out and see if it has a groove around the tip.

Why would you want to run it all the way in anyways?

I wasn't planning on running the bike with the fuel screw in all the way, but I was trying to see if I had the right pilot jet in. Everything I've read about adjusting the fuel screw sez to turn the adjuster in all the way and that the bike will barely be able to run, then start adjusting out at 1/4 turns, blah, blah blah. :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.