Rod bearing failure

No replies to this topic
  • trevor

Posted August 13, 2001 - 11:08 AM

"Hi all, my name is trevor, I'm an owner of a 2000 WR 400, and I have a problem". Seems to be too common of a failure for such a hyped bike. Here's my story:

I bought the bike new in December 2000. Bike hours could not be more than 20 hours total riding time. One afternoon, my bike shut down as I came to a stop. When trying to kick it over, it was impossible, so I got towed back to camp. Immediately when I got home I started the disassembly. Got the bike down to the cases & found a ring of metal on the end of the crankshaft,where it meets the oil pump. The piece of metal looked like a rough thread which peeled as the nut was tightened on the shaft, but neither myself or the mechanics at the Yamaha dealership could explain it, as the parts breakdown show nothing should be there. The ring of metal was very rough, blued, & had a split. The dealership split the cases & metal had gone through the motor, the rod bearing came apart in pieces. I don't know if this is related to the failure or not. One this I do know is maintenance & riding style are not factors here.
Funny thing is that before I bought the bike, I talked with my brother-in-law who owned a '98 YZF400, and he had the EXACT SAME PROBLEM! he fixed his bike & immediately sold it. After he looked at my spent parts, it was deja vu to him. So now here I am. I'm installing my motor after new parts, but not sure if this truly is a fluke, a Yamaha originated defect or what. I've looked through some of the archives on this topic, and in the past four months there have been similar entries. I welcome the feedback, experiences & knowlege from everyone on this topic, and would sure like a success story or two in order to maintain confidence in the WR.

------------------

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.