How to start after sitting??

6 replies to this topic
  • 450GN

Posted February 27, 2005 - 01:43 PM

well sorry about the dumb question but my bike never wants to start in the winter like this... i have tried forever and it just never wants to get going...

what am i supposed to do before even kicking it over...? give the throttle a few good twists... pull the choke out?
can someone just give me a a good start on how to get it moving?

thanks in advace :)

• DoctorRzed

Posted February 27, 2005 - 02:36 PM

Is the bike stored in a heated area? Its about 17 degrees here and I just started mine up. Turned on the fuel, Gave it 3 twists of the throttle, pull out the choke, 2 kicks and it started right up. Warmed it up for 2 min and was ready to go.

• ISBB

Posted February 27, 2005 - 03:47 PM

there was a video on YAMAHA's WEBSITE for the proper starting procedure....

WHEN COLD
1st TWO FULL TWISTS OF THE THROTTLE
2nd HOLD COMPRESSION LEVER FOR 2 KICKS
3rd PULL CHOKE
4th FIND the compression spot like normal
5th KICK w/ NO THROTTLE

and she should fire RIGHT UP.. :) always worked for me that way

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 642MX

Posted February 27, 2005 - 04:36 PM

One twist and two kicks, and she lites up everytime.

• Frostbite

Posted February 27, 2005 - 05:11 PM

well sorry about the dumb question but my bike never wants to start in the winter like this... i have tried forever and it just never wants to get going...

what am i supposed to do before even kicking it over...? give the throttle a few good twists... pull the choke out?
can someone just give me a a good start on how to get it moving?

thanks in advace :)

Depends on how long since you started it last and how cold it is.

If it's been a month or more you may want to drain the gas out of the carb bowl by unscrewing the nut on the bottom of the carb, or - just turn off the tank petcock and lay then bike on it's side and most of the gas will pour out the overflow tube.

For cold weather I have to twist the throttle to squirt in gas. -40 F takes 12 squirts. -10 takes 6 to 8, 0 takes 3 or 4. You have to hold at WFO for a few seconds or you won't get the full squirt from the AC pump.

Here's how I start for say -10F. Choke out, turn the idle knob in 1 turn to increase idle speed, set to TDC with decomp like a normal start, 6 full twists of the throttle, remove hand completely from throttle, kick normally. My bike usually won't fire on the first kick. Don't touch the throttle, set back to TDC with the decomp and kick again. mine almost always fires on the second kick but will only run for a few seconds, until the AC squirt is gone. Then I repeat the procedure from the beginning - 6 twists, kick once, back to TDC, starts on second kick.....
The colder it is the more times I have to restart it. Gradually a bit of heat builds up in the engine and it'll run longer each time until it finally stays running. I can't touch the throttle on my bike until it stays running for about a minute.
If you think you've flooded it from too many squirts and you're not getting any fire - hold the throttle WFO and kick 10-15 times to clear out the engine. Be careful to keep the throttle at WFO without blipping or you'll be squirting more gas in and defeating the purpoes. That works well too if you tip over and flood the engine when it's hot.

• Math

Posted February 28, 2005 - 07:50 AM

You know, all these things about the temperature of the engine confused me the first year I rode my 426. The point is: how am I supposed to know the temp of the engine cylinder? It is not like there is a thermometer is it?

Then I figured out that to never get in trouble one should follow this procedure: In doubt, start with a lean procedure and get richer.

From lean to rich you have:

1-Kick with the gaz tank petcock closed (I do that if the bike has been laying on its side for a while on a hot day).

2-Kick with the hot start

3- Kick

4- kick with choke

5- 1 twist of the throttle and then proceede with step 4

6- 2 twist of the throttle and then proceede with strep 4

7- 3 ...you get the point.

So if you don't know what temp your engine is: you can start with a try or two of step 2. If it does not work do the same with step 3 and then step 4 and so on. You'll never get in trouble with a flooded bike or whatever.

I've never used the hot start (step 2) in the winter whatever the situation because the oxygen concentration per volume is high enough so that the mixture is already rather lean compared to the summer. So basically, I try to kick as is and if it does not work I try the choke, then throttle twists...

When the engine is dead cold (first start of the day), my WR often requires several throttle twists (up to 4!) before firing and then, it sometimes die after a couple rev because it is just too cold... but winters are cold here...

But after the first start of the day, it will fire up easily and never die by itself afterward. Just like Frostbite said, as heat accumulates, it becomes easier to start the bike (don't need to go to step 6 or 7).

IMHO, this "lean toward rich" way of starting the bike is the best way not to get lost with "what the bike wants" and kick forever...and ending up sidekicking the bike :) :D and walk away back home :) :p

Hope this help.

• 450GN

Posted February 28, 2005 - 02:12 PM

well thanks for some replies! no the bike just sits in a garage that isnt heated... usually 3 weeks to a month between starts... i will s tart to try to s tart it up every week at least jsut that the bike isnt right at my house...

i only try to take it out right now when snow melts and it gets a lil warm... mnichigan sucks...

thanks for the advice and i will have to try them!... something has got to work!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.