Engine Jammed!-xr600r

14 replies to this topic
  • BRP-rider

Posted February 27, 2005 - 10:26 AM

Hi everyone,
Tried to start my bike yesterday. I pulled the decompression lever in and kicked it over. Then I heard a clunking sound in the engine and the engine jammed to a stop and wouldn’t turn over anymore. I can turn it over in reverse 1 revolution then it clunks to a stop. It sounds to me like the valves or valve is hitting the piston. I pulled off the top cover cap to check parts. The camshaft, rockers, cam sprocket, etc. seem fine. With the cover off, I turned the engine over and it has compression. Also, the valves aren’t sticking.
I don’t know much about this engine but I think it could be a problem with the decompressor system??? Anyone have any ideas????

• captb

Posted February 27, 2005 - 02:40 PM

I never had any problem with any XRs I've had but if the timing chain is tight it shouldn't have jumped time, I would pull the Spark Plug and and the left crankcase access plug and turn it both ways (with a socket wrench)to make sure the kickstart and decompressor have dissengaged and if it seems ok then kick it over slow and see if it happens when the kickstarter is accuated might be in the kickstart or decompressor unless something got sucked into the combustion chamber like a choke plate flapper.
(that's assuming it what running ok the last time it ran) good luck!

• Dirtbikingpunk16

Posted February 27, 2005 - 02:56 PM

Hi everyone,
Tried to start my bike yesterday. I pulled the decompression lever in and kicked it over. Then I heard a clunking sound in the engine and the engine jammed to a stop and wouldn’t turn over anymore. I can turn it over in reverse 1 revolution then it clunks to a stop. It sounds to me like the valves or valve is hitting the piston. I pulled off the top cover cap to check parts. The camshaft, rockers, cam sprocket, etc. seem fine. With the cover off, I turned the engine over and it has compression. Also, the valves aren’t sticking.
I don’t know much about this engine but I think it could be a problem with the decompressor system??? Anyone have any ideas????

I am guessing you have a problem somewhere with your valves, maybe the exhaust valves.......

• frankstr

Posted February 27, 2005 - 06:17 PM

I'm thinkin what your thinkin, Valve's possibly hitting piston :)
Possible jumped time when it last shut off..........
Keep us informed........sorry about the break down :)

• minioutlaw

Posted February 27, 2005 - 07:10 PM

This might be long shot, but I had my XR lock up when the cam chain sprocket bolts weren't tightened properly (oops). The bolts backed out, and one of them wedged itself against the head, locking everything up solid. I was lucky, heard it begin to happen, shut the engine off, and suffered no major damage; hope you have the same luck.

• XR6's_rule

Posted February 28, 2005 - 03:07 AM

DONT TRY TO START THE BIKE AGAIN! Most likely the cam chain has jumped but this only happens when it is extremely loose from being out of adjustment (rattling) for a long time. If it has jumped theres a good chance a valve could be hitting the piston. Was the engine rattling? You'll just have to whip the rocker-cover off and cross ur fingers! Good luck!

• bootlegger2

Posted February 28, 2005 - 03:16 AM

sounds like it time for a valve job and timing chain and tensioner

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BRAYTON

Posted February 28, 2005 - 08:02 AM

The Cam Chain Jumped Timing And The Piston Shot Up And Hit A Valve Most Likely Bending It If You Tried To Kick It Against Its Will. Looks Like You Are Going To Have Some Serious Top End Work To Take Care Of. Good Luck And Keep Us Posted.

• BRP-rider

Posted February 28, 2005 - 08:36 AM

I pulled the flywheel cover and checked the valve timing... its out by one tooth. everything else seems fine, the timing chain seems tight, the valves open and close freely and the engine has good compression. My question now is, how do I know if I need a new tensioner, how do I de-activate the tensioner and move the cam sprocket back one tooth on the chain, and if I do need to replace the tensioner, is that hard to do?
Thanks Guys!

• bootlegger2

Posted March 01, 2005 - 03:32 AM

with the tensioner out you can check it so go ahead and pull it i got one when i was doing my motor job because one of those little p;astic pieces on the inside of it was broke and binding my tensioner up its only about 38.00 bucks from honda i did the chain too, held the new chain up to old one and i could see the difference in length by about 1/4 inch thats alot got new chain from ebay 18.00 bucks what a deal
you can move the sprocket back need 2 people almost take bolts loose on sprocket and have someone push the tensioner down to take pressure off the chain then move your sprocket down and rotate the chain around put the sprocket back on quickly i done it by myself once not to easy another helper would be better

• BRP-rider

Posted March 01, 2005 - 08:56 AM

Can the tensioner and timing chain be replaced without taking the motor apart?
Thanks

• bootlegger2

Posted March 01, 2005 - 06:58 PM

clutch cover must come off and a few gears so you can get chain off of lower spocket it is pretty easy get your tensioner on and in time is the fun part they make a tool to hold the tensioner almost useful just play with the spring and you should be able to do it

• BRP-rider

Posted March 02, 2005 - 10:21 PM

Guys,
I checked my valve timing, and it's way off, that's
probably the problem, EH!

• XR6's_rule

Posted March 03, 2005 - 02:24 AM

yep mate. If you take the inspection caps off the left-hand crankcase cover and align the T on the rotor with the notch on the cover the 2 marks 180 degrees to each other on the cam sprocket should align with the gasket surface on the head. This is when the timing is spot on, where are yours at TDC?

• bootlegger2

Posted March 06, 2005 - 02:55 AM

if you order a new tensioner make sure they get you a tensioner and not the guide i think they call it something else besides a tensioner tell them its the small thing with a hook on the end unless the guy your ordering from knows what your talking about
i went threw that just told them a tensioner and they got me the guide because that is what it said on the picture of the parts

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.