flywheel

24 replies to this topic
  • Frostbite

Posted March 04, 2005 - 07:04 AM

My experience as a professional mechanic tells me that pulling a device such as a YZF flywheel with a 3 jaw puller is very ill advised. Pulling it this way puts a lot of strain on the face of the flywheel in a way that the engineers did not intend for it to be applied. The center will flex into a dished condition, which reduces the force actually trying to break the taper free, and can permanently distort the flywheel. You can say that you've done it, and it worked for you, but I can tell you that you got lucky. I've replaced a number of them that were pulled, or tried to be pulled that way.

Grey man, you're gonna give me a complex if you keep trashing my cowboy ways. :p And I thought I was doing so well when I started using the puller instead of prying it off with 2 tire irons. :)

J/K, I've been in the North so long that I forget what the real world is like.

Our motto here is:

"We the weary, working for the unknown, doing the impossible for the ungrateful, have been doing so much for so long with so little, that we are now capable of doing anything with nothing at all."

I guess I should include a disclaimer with future technical advice - I live and ride a thousand miles from nowhere so I do whatever it takes with whatever I can find. :)

• grayracer513

Posted March 04, 2005 - 09:30 AM

Grey man, you're gonna give me a complex if you keep trashing my cowboy ways. :p And I thought I was doing so well when I started using the puller instead of I guess prying it off with 2 tire irons. :D

J/K, I've been in the North so long that I forget what the real world is like.

Our motto here is:

"We the weary, working for the unknown, doing the impossible for the ungrateful, have been doing so much for so long with so little, that we are now capable of doing anything with nothing at all."

I guess I should include a disclaimer with future technical advice - I live and ride a thousand miles from nowhere so I do whatever it takes with whatever I can find. :)

You should see what a Mexican farmer can do with a crescent wrench and a roll of wire! Those guys really can fix anything with nothing. Somehow, it never works for me. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ncmountainman

Posted March 04, 2005 - 10:02 AM

You should see what a Mexican farmer can do with a crescent wrench and a roll of wire! Those guys really can fix anything with nothing. Somehow, it never works for me. :)

or a redneck with a roll of duct tape :)

• tammie

Posted March 04, 2005 - 12:54 PM

Hey Greyracer....took your advice(sorry frostbite) I found a 3 bolt flywheel puller today and it worked like a charm..........popped right off.....

thanx!!!

• MONTANATHUMPER

Posted March 09, 2005 - 09:14 AM

My fly wheel puller on my wr 400 has three screws. Since I don't have a YZF and haven't seen the after market flywheel your using, I can't tell you for sure if it would work, but if there's a dealer around that has one in stock you could check that option out?????

MThumper

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.