04 yz450F coolant change

2 replies to this topic
  • Toobold30

Posted February 26, 2005 - 11:22 PM

Hey guys..i have not got a manual for my 04 Yz450f.. Im getting ready to change the coolant and would like to get some detailed steps on how to do this...I think im going to use engine ice....thanks everyone

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted March 02, 2005 - 08:32 AM

At the lower edge of the water pump cover, you'll find a bolt with a copper washer under it. That's the coolant drain. Remove the radiator cap, drain the coolant, refill with distilled water, and run it for 2-3 minutes. Then drain it again and put your new coolant in. Be sure to double check for a complete fill after you run it a while, bubbles may become trapped when you fill it and work their way out to the top later.

Always be extremely cautious of removing the radiator cap from a hot engine. Let it cool for at least ten minutes, wear gloves, keep your face back, and let the cap release pressure at the first catch point when unscrewing the cap. Fooling around with hot coolant is an easy way to get burned worse than you ever did on an exhaust pipe.

• ncmountainman

Posted March 02, 2005 - 08:54 AM

i've found if you fill the rad about half full(after it all settles in)and rock the bike side too side as far as you can(w/out spilling it back out) ,it gets out the trapped air out better :)

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Problem with 14 450s by boegey

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  40 replies
Forums
Photo

Yellow YZ250F at Round 7 of Australian MX Nationals, Conondale QLD by stinkwheels

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   WR/YZ 250F
  • 3 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2015 by Bryan Bosch

Yamaha YZ450F 2015
  • * * * * -
  • 3 reviews
  • Last review by mastamax
  • On October 07, 2014
Forums
Photo

Engine acting up '98 YZ400F by bjm904

• 4 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 prices? by rk8950

• 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.