New yz450 owner

5 replies to this topic
  • wilbwil

Posted February 26, 2005 - 09:17 PM

I just bought an 04 yz450. I'm little worried It may be a little over my head. But what the hell I'm impulsive and I couldn't help myself. I'll mainly be trail riding. Can anybody tell me what kind of mods I may need to do. Does the yz450 have a spark arrester?

• 02YZ426

Posted February 26, 2005 - 09:26 PM

If you find its too much power for you, ive heard of guys going to the WR timing to tame the bike a bit. Personally I would leave it alone though, you will get used to the power. I trail my bike alot with everything stock, but I would recommend a good set of hand guards though (for those finger smashing trees!) I once broke my pinky finger between the handlebar and the clutch lever when I had to swerve for a downed rider. I only clipped the tree by an inch, man did that suck!

• DoctorRzed

Posted February 27, 2005 - 04:34 AM

No they do not have a spark arrestor and I would inform you to buy a flywheel weight.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ovrrdrive

Posted February 27, 2005 - 05:06 AM

On the '04 you probably won't need a flywheel weight as they added weight to it in '04 anyway. Try it first and see what you think. If you find it easy to stall you may consider adding weight to the flywheel.

The only things I did to my '04 were to drop to a 13T front sprocket, get a Pro Moto Billet endcap for the exhaust with the quiet insert and spark arrestor, and add a Trail Tech kickstand. That's all it needed, but then again I wasn't afraid of the power either.

You bought a good bike. It just may take a little getting used to for you to realize that. :)

• ONLY4STROKES

Posted February 27, 2005 - 01:29 PM

try the stock setup, but you might need to change the flywheel weight.
www.dubachracing.com

your suspension is setup for mx riding, get it revalved to your specs and riding style.
www.enzoracing.com
www.factoryconnection.com
www.mx-tech.com

there are other mods to get but first ride the bike on the trails and get back to us.

• grayracer513

Posted February 27, 2005 - 02:41 PM

On the '04 you probably won't need a flywheel weight as they added weight to it in '04 anyway. Try it first and see what you think. If you find it easy to stall you may consider adding weight to the flywheel.

This is true. Comparing the weights of flywheels with the weight added as a welded on ring, the Dr.D weights are 4, 6, and 8oz added weight. The GYT-R flywheels from Yamaha are listed as to their inertia effect, rather than their added weight, but they equate to 5oz for the racing flywheel, which is stock on your bike, and 7oz for the offroad. I have a 4oz Dr. D, and for trail riding, it's a little light. Dubach says their 6oz is their most popular, but that's not so different than what you have. Like others have said, try it and see.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.