Eratic Idle - Brand New 2005 WR450F

41 replies to this topic
  • BNutZ

Posted March 01, 2005 - 10:13 AM

berg,
Great News! I'm in Washington on business this week but can't wait to get home Friday and peform the mods / jet kit this weekend. You didn't state that you cut the throttle stop / gray wire, had you done this previously, just forget to mentioned it, or simply not cut them? As another poster asked above, what needle / jets out of the JD kit did you use? I'd like to get it right the first time around. Additionally, did you have to take the carb completely out or were you able to twist it sideways?

.... Ordering the JD Jet Kit and Zip-Ty Fuel Screw right now.

R/Brandon

• berg

Posted March 01, 2005 - 12:41 PM

As far as jeting I went jd blue needle 3rd clip from the top and 170 main jet.
I've not trail riden it yet but it is in the neiborhood, my zipty screw is at one
and a half turn out. It may prove to be a little rich once I get out and ride it but it is a good starting point. I did cut my throtle stop screw down to 18 mm
(not including the bolts head) and yes I did unplug the grey wire. I was able
to work on the carb while still in the air intake boot but sliped out of head boot, to get to the throtle stop you'll have to get the ais crap out of the way.
My air screw o-ring stayed in the carb when the screw was removed but it dropped out with a few taps on the side. I'll be riding this weekend so I'll let you know how it runs on the trail soon.

Phil

• BNutZ

Posted March 01, 2005 - 04:23 PM

berg,
Thanks for the specifics on your mods and jetting. I'll likely mimic your setup. ..........What would we all do without the TT community?!?! :)

• BNutZ

Posted March 04, 2005 - 04:05 PM

Just flew in from Washington... loading the bike up and taking it to the Local Yamaha dealer in a few minutes. I'm a little hesitant to tear into the carb until the bike is running better initially.. I'd hate to do the jetting / fuel screw only to find out it's something else and that I've now voided the warranty. I'll post back what the dealer finds....

• berg

Posted March 05, 2005 - 07:25 AM

BnutZ,
Thats good news, I'm sure your dealer will work it out for you. The bike is sold in such a de-tuned state (motor wise) that I'm sure they see alot of this. It's really too bad that the whole emissions deal has to force the mfg. to sell a bike set up as they do. Good luck and I'll keep an eye out for your update, I'm going out riding sunday and hope to put alot of miles on the bike.

Phil

• chuckprigge

Posted March 05, 2005 - 07:52 AM

I had the same exact problems and I can tell you the float is part of the problem.
but first get a jet kit from dynajet and remove the smog. did mine last night and it is running like a real bike now. no more sputtering or stalling at idle. if I still reacts to
leaning the bike over, then your float is to high. but don't try to set up your float unless you have done it before, you will be wrong!

• BNutZ

Posted March 07, 2005 - 01:24 PM

I spoke with the Service writer this morning who stated that they found a small spur of aluminum in the pilot jet. :) However, they continued on to state that "the bike is running 10 times better" :) ......apparently, it's still running lean and they recommended jetting it. I'm going to pick it up in the next day or two... My JD Jet Kit and Zip Ty Fuel Screw arrived on Friday, TT AIS Removal Kit due in sometime this week. Guess it's time to get in the throws and do the mods.

Hopefully by the time this is all said and done, others who experience the same issue will be comforted by the posts in this thread.

• MortgageRider

Posted March 07, 2005 - 02:12 PM

BNutZ,

Did mine last night JD, Zip Ty, & AIS. It took a total of 2.5 hours. AIS done first only problem plastic plug on top of air box. No room for big fingers. JD kit Blue needle 4th position 170mj, also put in 48pj and 70 starter jet. Zip Ty 1 1/2 out and man what a difference started with out the choke and idled with no problem. Very impressed.

Brett

• berg

Posted March 07, 2005 - 03:39 PM

Bnutz,
Glad to hear the good news. As for my ride yesterday, the bike ran great mid and full throtle but had a bit of a sputter at 1/4 throtle. I will be changing my needle from blue # 4 to red in the middle posistion for next weeks ride.

Good luck

Phil

• BNutZ

Posted March 07, 2005 - 08:38 PM

Just finished riding the WR through the neighborhood.. Idles well (not sure what happens if I remove the silencer), no hang-up on decelleration.. It's definately lean though....

This Weekend: JD Jet Kit, Zip Ty Fuel Screw, AIS Removal Kit and Free Mods.

Ahhhhh... I feel so much better..
Now I'm ready to unleash this beast!

Thanks to all for the great responses provided in this thread!

:)

R/Brandon

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • maico82

Posted March 08, 2005 - 06:23 PM

On the 250WR & 450WR 05's I have noticed on the carburetor boot closest to the cylinder that it leaks on the very bottom because the clamp has a stop in the middle. It happens when you get 40miles on your 250WR and 60 miles on the 450WR. Look for dirt on the carburetor boot, and if so that may be your problem. I have the 2005 450WR and I took out the stop and tightened it up and haven't had any leak problems since.

• onenut

Posted March 08, 2005 - 09:53 PM

WR 450F Free mods cut throttle stop screw, disconect grey wire, remove baffel from exahust DJ kit RED #4 Zip ty 1 3/4 turn out smooth power to the top Easy to remove carb.

• BNutZ

Posted March 21, 2005 - 09:24 AM

I took the WR out this past Saturday... I cut the gray wire and removed the silencer prior to heading out... the bike was awesome until about 10 minutes into the ride when the RPM's stayed up on deccelleration... blipping the throttle DID NOT clear it this time... as such, it was EXTREMELY fun to ride ( :) ) and my left forearm (from holding the clutch in all day) got the workout of its lifetime.

I just don't know... Maybe there's something in the tank that's dropping into the jets and clogging them up... :)

I installed the AIS Removal Kit yesterday... didn't have time to yank the carb and rejet / fuel screw.. hopefully this coming weekend i will however. I'm REALLY hoping the jet kit and fuel screw take the high rpm idle / deccelleration issue away... it outright SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!

R/Brandon

Just finished riding the WR through the neighborhood.. Idles well (not sure what happens if I remove the silencer), no hang-up on decelleration.. It's definately lean though....

This Weekend: JD Jet Kit, Zip Ty Fuel Screw, AIS Removal Kit and Free Mods.

Ahhhhh... I feel so much better..
Now I'm ready to unleash this beast!

Thanks to all for the great responses provided in this thread!

:p

R/Brandon

• hotrunnin-05wr450

Posted March 21, 2005 - 10:36 AM

im so glad to know i wasnt the only one with this problem. i took my bike back the 3rd day i had it, of course it didnt do it @ the dealer! well atleast in front of me, but however, i think when they took it to the back they switched main jets, and due to my photographic memory i remember there being no coolant in the overflow, so i think when the bike idled it was just heating up like a mother effer, and increasing the idle to flow more coolant?..i dont know i could be way offf but, just a thought.

• BNutZ

Posted March 21, 2005 - 12:44 PM

I'm not quite sure I understand the coolant piece .....nontheless, glad to hear your issue was resolved... :)

• Vibeguy

Posted March 21, 2005 - 01:54 PM

BnutZ,

Does your 05 WR450F have the small rubber decomp plug installed? It's in the cyl. head right above the exhaust and facing forward. Thanks, we just want to update the description for the TT decomp plug in the TT store.

Fritz

• hotrunnin-05wr450

Posted March 21, 2005 - 02:35 PM

I'm not quite sure I understand the coolant piece .....nontheless, glad to hear your issue was resolved... :)

they added coolant

• onelugnut

Posted March 21, 2005 - 04:20 PM

I dont see one on mine.It sounds like it was where the ais is now.

• BNutZ

Posted March 22, 2005 - 07:28 PM

Vibeguy --- Sure doesn't... I was in that area all day installing the TT AIS Removal Kit.

R/Brandon

BnutZ,

Does your 05 WR450F have the small rubber decomp plug installed? It's in the cyl. head right above the exhaust and facing forward. Thanks, we just want to update the description for the TT decomp plug in the TT store.

Fritz

• luckyfly

Posted March 23, 2005 - 01:55 AM

Hey, I had the same problem with a 450wr '05. It turns out the idle needs to be set once the bike is warm (it changes alot from cold) Does or did your's race to high with the choke on from cold? mine did, I had the exact same problem and yep annoying as. All I did was adjust the idle after it warmed right up and never had a problem since.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.