98 WR 400 Vs. 98 YZ400

6 replies to this topic
  • Tiny

Posted February 26, 2005 - 08:19 PM

I have a friend selling his 98 WR400. I was wondering what is the differance and what can be done to make is more like the YZ? One thing I read about is the throttle stop. I believe my friend installed the one from the YZ. Is there any jetting change for this? Will I notice more rotation of the throttle with the YZ stop installed. Any assitance will be appreciated. My friend has always had a hard time starting this bike. I read some threads on the techniques needed to start. I plan check it out on Sunday. :)

Thanks,
Tiny.

• 1rkcooper

Posted February 26, 2005 - 08:28 PM

http://www.yamaha-mo..._stroke_fr.html

print out these steps, watch the video and then go show him how to start his bike. It should be easy to start.

WR400 is an awsome bike

• bdmmotard

Posted February 27, 2005 - 10:50 AM

i've got the auto decomp cam in my 98 wr400. after starting my friends bike w/o it, thank god! mine's a kick and go affair

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ONLY4STROKES

Posted February 27, 2005 - 01:50 PM

follow the steps doug dubach teaches you in the yamaha link. best advice you can get.

doug

• Tiny

Posted February 27, 2005 - 04:01 PM

Well I tried to start it today. It has been sitting for a while and I live is Michigan with 20*F temp today. I had it started and stall quit a few times and then it would stall. I got the rhythm with the kick start but did not want to stay running. I worked the throttle a little to keep it running to no avail. Is the 20*f temps a big factor with these bikes?

• Tiny

Posted February 28, 2005 - 07:05 PM

I put in fresh gas and a plug then it fired up.

Thanks,
Tiny

• mountainriderWR400F

Posted February 28, 2005 - 09:27 PM

my 99WR400 starts like a dream, always has. I use the method stated by Dubach and it works well cold or hot one of my Friends has a YZ400 and I think there is no difference after mods are done except on the mapping quicker responce of throttle but seems like he is shifting gears a lot of the time while I can stay in 3rd and lug along on a tight trail or rail and still hold a gear for a while and the still have two great gears left:) I can go longer on fuel and I can get a plate for it which would be awesome

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.