WR426 Leaking Fork Seal Question

10 replies to this topic
  • NuckingFuts

Posted February 26, 2005 - 08:11 PM

So Im out on my 2nd ride with this mad banshee and I notice that one fork seal is leaking pretty good at the end of the day. :)

So after spending the last two hours going through the archived posted I still have a question unanswered.

When I tear down the forks Im going to make up some of those homemade tools (seal driver and Castle nut remover which Im not even sure I need) and wondered what diameter PVC to use for the seal driver. Most the posts are for the larger 450 forks and use a 1.5" pvc pipe for the driver.

BTW, Im going to try the film negative trick to clean out the seal and see if it stops leaking first. If it stops then Im off to get some SealSavers for sure.

Either way I want to change out the oil, seals, bushings, and wipers to keep things fresh. :)

• doctorchopper

Posted February 27, 2005 - 04:19 AM

Fork seals are relatively easy to change, I changed a set on a wr250 about two years back, and now have a 426 but havent had to change the seals yet. From what I remember, you don't have to take appart the castle nut, just follow the directions in the manual and you'll be fine.

• JRAMBO

Posted February 27, 2005 - 04:46 AM

I just did mine a week ago I thought you had to make that castle nut driver too but you don't.Just loosen the tops of the shocks(easier if done on the bike)drain all your fluid pull off dust cover pop out the wire clip.Use them like a slide hammer pop them a couple of times like they are topping out they will come apart pretty easy at least mine did.Race Tech makes teflon coated bushig for our bikes.Good Luck with your shocks. :) :) :p

• NuckingFuts

Posted February 27, 2005 - 09:02 AM

I just did mine a week ago I thought you had to make that castle nut driver too but you don't.Just loosen the tops of the shocks(easier if done on the bike)drain all your fluid pull off dust cover pop out the wire clip.Use them like a slide hammer pop them a couple of times like they are topping out they will come apart pretty easy at least mine did.Race Tech makes teflon coated bushig for our bikes.Good Luck with your shocks. :p :) :)

My question is still unanswered.....Did you make up your own seal driver? If so, what size pvc did you use?

I'll mess around this weekend. Thanks

• doctorchopper

Posted February 27, 2005 - 09:20 AM

Sorry, I believe it was 2 inch pvc pipe, I just cut it in half and found it easier to use just one side of the pipe. Another helpfull tip is to put some wax paper around the end of the forks before you put the seal on to prevent the seal from tearing on the thread (from what I remember), make sure you bleed all the air out of the forks when done, the manual describes this process, if its not done properly you'll end up with sponggy suspension

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • doctorchopper

Posted February 27, 2005 - 09:27 AM

Just take a pair of callipers, if you have access to a set and mesure the outside diameter of the forks. then get the size closest to or smaller than your messurement

• Frostbite

Posted February 27, 2005 - 10:10 AM

I just used the old seal and the fork tube as the driver, then cut the old seal off.

• NuckingFuts

Posted February 27, 2005 - 04:33 PM

Frostbite, did you ever do that full write-up you said you would do?

• Frostbite

Posted February 27, 2005 - 04:51 PM

Frostbite, did you ever do that full write-up you said you would do?

My memory's good but it's short, full write up on what subject? :) If you mean dismantling the forks, I didn't have to pull mine apart after all, but when I do I will put up a post. I guess that doesn't help you much. :)

• WR400Fun

Posted February 27, 2005 - 05:22 PM

I personally can attest to the film negative trick. I've noticed that dramatic temperature changes cause the seals to leak then once their leaking all kinds of trash gets in there. Clean the seals a couple of times then check your fork oil. The good thing is the seals are cheap if they do need replacing.

• Robert_Brazil

Posted February 27, 2005 - 07:31 PM

One of the most overlooked reasons why fork seals start to leak is that after bike is used the fork chrome is not properly cleaned. Mud that sticks to the seals turns into stone-hard rock material, the first time you compress the fork this material comes into contact with the seal. You can guess what happens next...

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.