Flywheel Weight

4 replies to this topic
  • Scotty426

Posted February 26, 2005 - 06:21 PM

Howdy,
My '01 426 is my first thumper. If I put a heavy flywheel weight on to decrease stalling, will that cause woodruff key problems? I sure hope not. As hard as it is to start, I wish I could just start it once and put gas in for the next several years.

• RogerDedrick

Posted February 26, 2005 - 07:38 PM

I have run a 14oz ZipTy weight on my 2000 for almost three years with no problems. The weight may help starting a bit.
Good carb jetting and adjustment will help the starting. the most.I am using the James Dean kit I also run the WR450 cam so starting is an easy single kick most anytime except on the starting line of Harescramles.:-( I think I am kicking it over too fast. My bike usually starts with on slow easy kick even when hot.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 02YZ426

Posted February 26, 2005 - 09:02 PM

Are those crank weights really worth the money? I havnt really seen any reason to put one on my 426. Then again Ive never ridden one with the weights to see the difference. What do they really do anyway? just help prevent stalling, or performance gain?

• Scotty426

Posted February 27, 2005 - 07:06 AM

Thanks. It's good to know the key holds up with use. I'll get the drill down on starting (form this forum). My only fear is that as you kick the lever, you fight the compression and the weight of the rotational mass, which is greater with the weight. If it holds up for you, I'll probably be OK.

• RogerDedrick

Posted February 27, 2005 - 07:38 AM

Are those crank weights really worth the money? I havnt really seen any reason to put one on my 426. Then again Ive never ridden one with the weights to see the difference. What do they really do anyway? just help prevent stalling, or performance gain?

Are they worth the money? I guess it depends on your type of riding and conditions. If you motocross they may not be. If you trail ride in tough slippery conditions it may be worth it weight in gold. I ride mostly trail and harescrambles.
I liked mine but after riding a stock 426 back to back with mine I am very satisfied it is worth the money for me and that was on a home MX/grass track. The flywheel weighted bike pulled a lot harder because it hooks up to the ground better.
The weight only tends to slow (slightly) the acceleration of the motor while revving up and slowing down. It does not directly translate to the acceleration of the bike in all conditions. If you don't have the traction for the motor to rev up at the rate without the weight it will spin the rear wheel harder and may lose enough traction that you will accelerate at a slower rate
If you have great traction the flywheel weight may slow down the bikes acceleration.
On the flip side the flywheel lessons engine braking and tends to keep the bike running with a lot less stalling. I have fallen off the bike lots of times and the engine continued to run so not having to restart saves a lot of energy.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.