renthal twin walls?????

10 replies to this topic
  • jws

Posted February 26, 2005 - 05:17 PM

anyone running renthal twin walls??????????

do you like them???

what handguards are you running with them???

I want to run them with my V2.0 GPR and my Cycra handguards.

I noticed the taper on the bars of the twin walls where the hand guard mount goes is a little thicker than my pro tapers - does this matter or do they make a special mount for the twin walls???

thanks for any help :)

Jeff :)

• drex

Posted February 26, 2005 - 10:19 PM

anyone running renthal twin walls??????????

do you like them???

what handguards are you running with them???

I want to run them with my V2.0 GPR and my Cycra handguards.

I noticed the taper on the bars of the twin walls where the hand guard mount goes is a little thicker than my pro tapers - does this matter or do they make a special mount for the twin walls???

thanks for any help :)

Jeff :)

Hey, Jeff!

I am running the Twinwall (Ricky Carmichael bend) with my Applied Triple clamp.

Great fit, no issues.

No handguards, just the stock brush guards.

• jws

Posted February 26, 2005 - 10:31 PM

i want to be able to run my bar mounted cycra pro bends :)

Cycras website shows 4 different bar mounts

standard
Pro taper
KTM magura
Ktm renthal

i know the standard is 7/8 but does anyone know the difference between the other three??????????

i have the pro taper bar mounts but they dont seem to look right on the twin walls as far as fit goes??

• WheelsUp

Posted February 26, 2005 - 10:55 PM

ProTaper bars taper during the rise, so where the clamp fits it's somewhere between 1-1/8 and 7/8. Twinwalls are 1-1/8 all the way up to the jump in size, so the ProTaper mount will probably be too small to mount below the break and too big to mount above.

Switch to the triple clamp style mount... it'll save your brake line :)

• jws

Posted February 27, 2005 - 06:58 AM

ProTaper bars taper during the rise, so where the clamp fits it's somewhere between 1-1/8 and 7/8. Twinwalls are 1-1/8 all the way up to the jump in size, so the ProTaper mount will probably be too small to mount below the break and too big to mount above.

I will call Cycra on monday but this is the problem i see - where i mount the handguards on the twin walls is 1 1/8 and the mounts i have have a taper built in so they wont work :)

Switch to the triple clamp style mount... it'll save your brake line

please explain :)

iam 6'4" and like my under the bar V2.0 GPR - it rises the bars up a good inch - i dont plan on changing this - if anything if i cant get the hand guards to work i will change back to pro tapers

thanks jeff

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • don87xr600

Posted February 27, 2005 - 08:20 AM

Here's the Cycra web page that sells the adapter you need to mount your handguards to the triple clamps.

http://store.cycrara...m/trclmopr.html

• jws

Posted February 27, 2005 - 08:40 AM

Here's the Cycra web page that sells the adapter you need to mount your handguards to the triple clamps.

http://store.cycrara...m/trclmopr.html

When i first ordered the Cycra Pro Bends i went with the tripple clamp mount - but with my under the bar 2.0 GPR they did not work. The GPR raises the bars up an inch and that left the hanguards to low. I called Cycra and ask if they could make me a mount that was an inch longer - they told me to go with the bar mounts :)

thanks, jeff

• WheelsUp

Posted February 27, 2005 - 12:11 PM

please explain :)

If you hit them just right (or wrong) and the Cycra rotates, it can snap your brake line where it exits the master cylinder. Same applies to any bar-mounted clamp system.

I called Cycra and ask if they could make me a mount that was an inch longer - they told me to go with the bar mounts

I'd fab something. You have the two basic parts you need. All you need are four longer triple clamp screws and a plate to connect the Cycras to the clamp. Dummy everything up, make a drawing, then make a template... go to Office Depot and get some 3/16 or 1/4 foam posterboard. Transfer the drawing to this and work it until it works. Once it works, take the template and a 12-pack of Bud to a welding shop and ask for a duplicate in 1/4" aluminum or 3/16" steel.

A third option is to take your existing bar mounts to a machine shop (see above 12-pack of Bud) and see if there's enough material inside of the screws to ream the opening out to 1-7/64"

Personally, I'd go back to ProTapers :)

• jws

Posted February 27, 2005 - 12:39 PM

thanks for your ideas - iam trying not to make a project out of this. If Cycra doesnt make a bar mount for the twin walls i will go back to the pro tapers :)

as far as the brake line goes i could see where that could happen :D
i had a 40 -50 MPH get off 5 weeks ago today on a TT ride out at stoddard and broke the rear fender , right side plate, kickstand, and my left leg all in one try :D the right side hanguard did come apart it pulled the threads right out of the bar mount - i dont think the bolt was long enough - it also bent my pro tapers about 2 inches :)

right now iam just trying to get the bike back together and thought the twin walls would be nice so i could mount a GPS on the cross bar.

jeff :p

• WheelsUp

Posted February 27, 2005 - 06:00 PM

I hear ya on not making a major project out of it... I love to build stuff though :)

Hmm... bent the ProTapers, pulled the Cycra, and broke your leg.
I guess what they say about Cycras is right:
"If you break them, you can worry about it after you get out of the hospital" :)

For the GPS, I bought a RAM mount and it goes right on the bars. They make them for 1-1/8 and 7/8, but the only difference is the size of the U-bolt, so the 1-1/8 will fit a ProTaper. I find the crossbar actually in the way when trying to crowd stuff onto the bars. I could certainly mount my GPS and bar mounts for my MSR barkbusters in a better location without the crossbar.

• jws

Posted February 28, 2005 - 04:29 AM

For the GPS, I bought a RAM mount and it goes right on the bars. They make them for 1-1/8 and 7/8, but the only difference is the size of the U-bolt, so the 1-1/8 will fit a ProTaper. I find the crossbar actually in the way when trying to crowd stuff onto the bars. I could certainly mount my GPS and bar mounts for my MSR barkbusters in a better location without the crossbar.

after reading this iam going with the pro tapers :p

for some reason in my head i was thinking i needed the crossbar to mount the GPS :) i dont know why?

jeff :D

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.