Fuel Screw & Carb Issues

21 replies to this topic
  • clark4131

Posted February 26, 2005 - 12:30 PM

Here are the symptoms:

Installed Zip-Ty Fuel Screw on my '05 WR450 last night. There was NO O-Ring that came out with the OEM screw and there wasn't one stuck inside the carb upon inspection. I did see what looked like a small washer, so I'm assuming it was holding the O-Ring on the other side of it. Turning the screw in either direction has NO effect on performance. I inspected the screw and it is not broken, bent, etc. Do I need a smaller pilot?

I also installed the JD Kit with the Red Needle on #4, 165 Main, 72 Starter, 42 Pilot and 70 Leak. When I crack the throttle fast, the engine immediately dies. If I crack it not quite as fast as I can, no problems. I have a 48 Pilot and 40 Leak on the way, will that help?

So there you go. The Fuel Screw thing has me baffled...how can it do nothing? I think the bogging problem may be the Leak jet and perhaps the needle position, but I'm not positive. I have good power after 1/4 throttle, so that's what's leading me in that direction. Thanks...SC

• eightballeddy

Posted February 26, 2005 - 01:04 PM

the #40 leak jet should definately help with the bog. If that dosen't quite do it try a search on the bk mod. I had to hit my carb pretty hard (with my hand of course) to get the rubber o-ring out of there. I would leave the carb the way that JD suggested until you try that leak jet, more than likely it will fix the problem. :)

• clark4131

Posted February 26, 2005 - 01:11 PM

That's what I thought, but what about the Fuel Screw thing? That ought to have some effect on the bike's performance even in stock form, right?...SC

• Domenic_WRF

Posted February 26, 2005 - 01:33 PM

You need to find the o-ring :) The motor should die with the screw all the way in and a JD red needle. Mine runs perfect with JD Red5, 45 pilot and stock leak jet. Without the o-ring your sucking more oxygen into your mix, you would need a 55 pilot before you noticed a change :p Find the o-ring before changing pilots and leak jets.. :)

• clark4131

Posted February 26, 2005 - 03:55 PM

Based on the carb diagram, the o-ring is behind the washer which was still up in the carb when I looked at it. When the new jets arrive, I'll pick up a new o-ring as well just in case...SC

UPDATE: I just took out the Zip-Ty and the washer came out on top of the spring, but still no O-Ring. I got the bike warmed up and started to fiddle with it and here's what I found: When I turn it 5 or 6 turns out it starts to die. When it's all the way in, it runs much better. I'm so frickin' confused :) ...SC

• SANG

Posted February 26, 2005 - 06:54 PM

Steve Your Never Going To Get Your Jetting Correct Without The O-ring Sealing Your Screw. My Screw Fell Out One Day In Doyle The Wr Had Problems All Day . Kirk At Michales Can Get You A New Screw,o- Ring Not Sold Seperatly.good Luck Keep Us Posted.

• clark4131

Posted February 26, 2005 - 07:05 PM

I got a new O-Ring from Kirk just a couple of hours ago. I'm going to tear into the carb tomorrow and make sure the original one is not stuck up inside. I'm hoping it's gone, which would then explain my problems somewhat. If it is in there, then it's back to the drawing board. I did get the little washer to come out with a couple knocks on the side of the carb so we'll see...SC

• charliep

Posted February 27, 2005 - 04:18 PM

I have 05 with the airbox, exhaust,throttle stop,gry wire mods done. bike dies when i open throttle all the way. if i roll the throttle i don't have a problem/

• Seabass

Posted February 27, 2005 - 05:45 PM

Steve Your Never Going To Get Your Jetting Correct Without The O-ring Sealing Your Screw. My Screw Fell Out One Day In Doyle The Wr Had Problems All Day . Kirk At Michales Can Get You A New Screw,o- Ring Not Sold Seperatly.good Luck Keep Us Posted.

Who is Kirk at Michaels? I think I need an o-ring also

• Domenic_WRF

Posted February 27, 2005 - 05:46 PM

The pilot circuit gets you about five feet, then your on the needle..Try the red needle on five, about the same as blue3 on top. Also switch to 168 or 170 main. See if it idles better with a touch of hot start or choke, this will tell if your rich or lean..Good luck

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • thumperjp

Posted February 27, 2005 - 07:41 PM

I am riding with #DTR-4 needle, #48 pilot and stock leak jet without problem.
Good luck

05WR450F
04YZ250WR

• clark4131

Posted February 27, 2005 - 08:20 PM

Kirk is one of the parts guys. They all call him "Capt. Kirk". He's about 5'7", with red hair, a goatee, glasses, probably early 40's. He really seems to know his shiznit..SC

• SANG

Posted February 27, 2005 - 11:08 PM

Seabass Kirk Is The Guru At The Local Yamaha Shop In Reno!

• jdd123

Posted February 28, 2005 - 08:39 AM

You really have to look for that oring when it sticks in the carb. It is very hard to spot. The shadows sometimes hide it when you shine a flashlight up it. If it fell out when you removed the screw, of course it is gone.

• Indy_WR450

Posted February 28, 2005 - 08:55 AM

Put a 48 pilot in and a #40 leak jet. :)

• clark4131

Posted March 02, 2005 - 09:59 PM

Here's what I'm running now...

168 Main
48 Pilot
72 Starter
70 Leak
JD Needle Blue #3

Alititude: 4500-6500' ASL
Temp: mid 50's - mid 60's

I have great power and response from 1/4 throttle on, but am still getting a little bog off idle if I crack it too fast. I'm waiting on a #40 Leak Jet to hopefully cure the bog, but they're back-ordered right now.

The thing that's got me confused is that the Fuel Screw still does nothing! I have the spring, washer and O-ring now, so that's not the issue, and I've never forced it to seat causing any damage to it. If I turn it out more than 2 turns, the engine starts to die, but it runs great fully seated. Do I need a smaller pilot like a 45 or 42 or even smaller? Please God, help me :) ...SC

• Indy_WR450

Posted March 03, 2005 - 04:13 AM

Try the 40 leak jet. In the mean time you can take the stocker and silver solder it shut :)

• RichBaker

Posted March 03, 2005 - 09:52 AM

Sounds like too big a pilot jet to me....I've got a 45 in my WR, and I'm at 2500'.

Here's what I'm running now...

168 Main
48 Pilot
72 Starter
70 Leak
JD Needle Blue #3

Alititude: 4500-6500' ASL
Temp: mid 50's - mid 60's

I have great power and response from 1/4 throttle on, but am still getting a little bog off idle if I crack it too fast. I'm waiting on a #40 Leak Jet to hopefully cure the bog, but they're back-ordered right now.

The thing that's got me confused is that the Fuel Screw still does nothing! I have the spring, washer and O-ring now, so that's not the issue, and I've never forced it to seat causing any damage to it. If I turn it out more than 2 turns, the engine starts to die, but it runs great fully seated. Do I need a smaller pilot like a 45 or 42 or even smaller? Please God, help me :) ...SC

• Seabass

Posted March 03, 2005 - 05:56 PM

Seabass Kirk Is The Guru At The Local Yamaha Shop In Reno!

If only I lived in Reno! My local Yamaha shop gave me a new o-ring and washer.

• Brian M

Posted March 03, 2005 - 11:00 PM

Where do you ride in california?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.