Laughlin Ride?

13 replies to this topic
  • armourbl

Posted August 12, 2001 - 08:39 PM

Just curious...

I live in Phoenix, as does Bobwombat. I'd like to know more about the Laughlin ride. Is this open invitation to board members? If yes, can you provide some details for anyone who might try to make it.

ben

• MONTY

Posted August 13, 2001 - 06:28 PM

Hi Armourbl
Are you talking about the Laughlin 200 that is the daul sport ride? thats in feb, if they hold it agian.Geart ride i hope they put in on agian.
monty

• overthebars_again

Posted August 13, 2001 - 08:06 PM

Hey Monty, I don't think that's the ride he's referring to. The real laughlin ride can be 500-600 miles brother. A real kick in the pants.

otb_a

• armourbl

Posted August 14, 2001 - 02:07 PM

I had read a post about some guys who get together a do a ride in the Laughlin area. Was just trying to find out some info on it. Let me go look for the post I read....

Ok, I can't find it. Crap.... It had a story of a guy who busted his face, a rancher who wouldn't let them cross his property, and a fire chief who brought them water in a helicopter....They said the ride was great....

ben

[This message has been edited by armourbl (edited 08-14-2001).]

• funktree

Posted August 14, 2001 - 06:36 PM

you sure it was on here, I read a story like that in a recent Dirt Rider. It sounds exactly like the same story. Title of it was something like Extreme Trailriding.

• armourbl

Posted August 15, 2001 - 07:25 AM

Pretty sure I read it here.

ben

------------------
2001 WR250F
White Brothers E Series Full exhaust
Panoram computer
Fly bars
jet kit
YZ timing I think (bought used)
Grey wire mod

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted August 15, 2001 - 07:01 PM

Ben, Yea you heard it here and im the A-hole that got the chopper!! Not proud of it but I really believe we were in need of assistance. When we called them they told us that they would give us a courtesy trip with water at a nearby meadow. Thank god for the Garmin GPS, we gave them the coordinates and they got there sooo fast. I tell ya, there's no crazier sight that a helicopter heading straight for you when you're on the side of a mountain.

Laughlin rides, that would be me too. Im not the leader of my group that plans the rides but I go on most of the rides, we leave from different places in SoCal and ride to Laughlin. Before I met my riding friends that go to Laughlin I would spend most of my time riding tracks and racing selected GP's. Then I went on a Laughlin ride and I was hooked, I rode my trusty DR350S to Laughlin 7 times. It has become a family trip for me now as my Dad, brother and myself go on our WR's. Ben, if your really interested I'll let you know when were going next and you can go. I must remind you that you'll have to ride rocky sandwashes ALL day in 100 degree plus temps with 5 gallons of gas, and be prepaired to repair flats. We are by no means expert riders but we can all go the distance. Did I mention that the beer in Laughlin taste better when you ride a WR there?? It's true!!

See ya

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • overthebars_again

Posted August 16, 2001 - 04:25 AM

Dan,
The beer is going to taste better 'cause I'm buyin' brother. You saved my @ss way too many times lately. And what's the crap about tasting better when you ride a WR? I seem to remember that my YZ got better gas mileage than your WR :)

Ben, let's not spread any more rumors about "a guy who busted his face". That was me. I had me goggles off as it was so damn hot and we were in the tight and twisties, fell over and got a face full of bush. Mind you, not the kind of bush that I prefer either.
I've been on a bunch of rides with Dan and each one was been completely different and holds a special place in my heart, or maybe that's my @ss. Can't remember. One day we rode in 2 feet of snow for the better part of 12 hours. That was a blast. On the last Laughlin ride, I saw wild burrows running along side of us. Some have seen Elk and other have seen Mountain Lions. You will not find a better group of riders to ride with, guaranteed man.

• armourbl

Posted August 16, 2001 - 07:59 AM

Ok, I'm in....

I live in Phoenix, but I have a truck and could probably meet you guys wherever you start from. Although I'm very new to the dirt. I've been riding motorcycle for almost 10 years, and even ride my TL1000R street bike at the local track when I can -- expert class of course.

Anyway, I have a friend here who insisted I ride his WR400 in the desert with him. Then he took me to one of the local Moto tracks. Then to the moto again 2 more times.

I went out and bought a 2001 WR250F and have all the safety gear, boots, pads, helmet, gloves, etc.

I think I'm a very good novice rider, that can hack it in probably any terrain.

As for the heat. I was a Marine, and was stationed in Yuma and Phoenix for almost the entire 9 years I was in. I've done training in the deserts of Az and California. I also hunt the desert.

I think if the trip wouldn't cost me too much more than a few hundred then I could do it. I may be even able to convince Bobwombat to come too.

Keep me informed...and sorry about the busted face thing, didn't have all the facts...

ben

------------------
2001 WR250F
Panoram computer
Fly bars
jet kit
Grey wire mod

• overthebars_again

Posted August 16, 2001 - 02:33 PM

Ben, I was only kidding man. Actually, I guess I had blood running down my face so your analysis may have been accurate.

Cost is pretty negligible. $35 a night in Laughlin for 2 nights and you can probably split the room with someone else. You'll probably spend more on diner, beverages and gambling if you're into that.

Dunno 'bout the 250F bro. Most guys ride 400's and 650's. I defer to Dan on that one.
otb_a

• armourbl

Posted August 16, 2001 - 05:38 PM

Not enough gutts? I need really get this thing out on a trial run, but I'm sure it isn't too under powered.

Let me know what you guys think.

ben

------------------
2001 WR250F
Panoram computer
Fly bars
jet kit
Grey wire mod

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted August 16, 2001 - 08:14 PM

Ben, It's never about the bike!! My brother has a WR250f that's sooo trick, it will do it all. Just worry about riding all day and being in shape. :)

• armourbl

Posted August 17, 2001 - 08:08 AM

Cool, keep me posted. I'd love to go if my schedule permits...

ben

------------------
2001 WR250F
Panoram computer
Fly bars
jet kit
Grey wire mod

• overthebars_again

Posted August 20, 2001 - 04:42 AM

Dan,

The only reason I mention the bike is because I remember you saying that it wasn't a good idea for my son-in-law to go because he was riding a 125. You said the 125 would never make it...

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.