Trying to decide between xr 400, xr 600

3 replies to this topic
  • bultaco

Posted February 25, 2005 - 06:44 PM

The choices are:

1997 xr 600, in storage for last 5 years.....good shape $2,500

2003 xr400 bored out to 440, "Edellbrook?" carb good shape $ 3,400

new 2005 xr 650.....well, just a bit more $$$$$$$$$

Raced MX years ago in Europe...250 2 my late 20' early 40's, yet in great shape, 6"4" 195lbs, life weight 3x per week + cardio...heard that that comes in handy with the XR650. Would love to get back into the sport here in N. CA. Fire trails, woods, desert...think that the power of the larger 4 strokes is very "usable" and less wearing. Prefer something to grow into rather than grow out of...Heard good things about the wr426 and 450...not sure what years to look into in any of these bikes...Also, any advice as to riding areas/buddies to ride with in N. CA would be wonderful!

Thanks so much for your time, Joe

• HeadTrauma

Posted February 26, 2005 - 01:56 PM

You want to do alot of different things with your bike and I figure whatever you want to do the most now and in the future will determine what would be best. If the majority of your riding will be desert, dirt roads, and open areas, then I would lean toward a 600 or 650R. The modded 440 is slightly smaller than either of the others and will be a little lighter and more maneuverable, but wont have quite the wide-open power or stability.

I only have experience with a 250L and my current 600R, but from what numerous people have said in here, the 650R doesnt feel like a 320lb bike and actally handles better than a 600. I personally prefer aircooled 4-strokes, so I'm happy with my dinosaur.

Check out the Southwest forum for people to ride with in your area.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jim1234

Posted March 05, 2005 - 08:26 AM

I've had both . I'm 210# and would vote for the 600 . I really didn't like the 400. The 600 is a better all around bike for me anyway. I've also had a xr 650 fun bike . I know this is a Honda forum , but don't overlook the drz .

• frankstr

Posted March 06, 2005 - 05:10 AM

the saying goes, there's no Replacement for Displacement........ :)

Related Content

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

Can anyone identify this xr600 piston? by ms_mtn24

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 4 replies

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.