timing chain

5 replies to this topic
  • tammie

Posted February 25, 2005 - 01:29 PM

ok need advice on replacing timing chain.......i guess i have to remove the flywheel and stator right? to get the chain off the lower sprocket? Ive already got the top off, cam chain tensioner off, cam caps off(to inspect cam shafts, lobes etc)...........ive got a wire around the old cam shaft chain so it doesn't fall in according to manual.........

just gonna order the new chain..........what about sprockets what am i looking for on them....they look OK....

• grayracer513

Posted February 25, 2005 - 02:07 PM

You probably won't find any wear on the cam sprockets to speak of. You will likely see some on the crank sprocket, though, and you just have to use your own judgment as to how bad it is, or get someone to look at it. Some is acceptable.

Yes, pull the flywheel and stator, and the two bolts in the bottom of the chain tensioner shoe. Run the chain down a ways until you can swing it past the end of the crank, and haul it out. Be sure that you keep the slack out of the new chain until the tensioner shoe is back in place. Not too tough, really. :)

• tammie

Posted February 25, 2005 - 02:12 PM

thats great, thanx...............so i assume i will be able to inspect the lower sprocket once the flywheel and stator is off then????

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • FFRacing79

Posted February 25, 2005 - 02:48 PM

Once you get the chain off you will be able to inspect the lower sprocket. Don't worry about the wire as the chain will be coming out the bottom anyway. Don't forget to medium locktite the 2 bolts holding the lower tensioner/guide in place.
As the chain can't come off the lower sprocket anyway(unless the guide is bent out of shape), don't even worry about messing with the wire for the chain when assembling. Just leave it in the bottom till you need it and pull it up with a magnet. Tdub

• tammie

Posted February 25, 2005 - 03:31 PM

when putting the cam shafts back in and the NEW chain on the cam lobes should be lined up at TDC right? thats where the engine is at right now.......when i remove the flywheel and stator do i have to worry about disturbing TDC...does it matter? sorry first time doing this........not a mechanic either but i know when in the manual it said when removing chain put engine at TDC.....

thanx does that make any sense what im asking, basically i don't want to scew up any timing!!! how do i know its right when its done???

• grayracer513

Posted February 25, 2005 - 04:13 PM

Since there's no way to lock the engine in place at TDC, the only way to be sure it's there when you time the cams is to reassemble the ignition components and reinstall the cover. That's the only readable indicator of TDC that you have unless you remove the spark plug and check it with a small screwdriver or other probe.

My caution about the chain slack was only up to the time that the tensioner shoe is reinstalled, since once that's in place, the chain cannot "loop" off the bottom of the crank sprocket unless you do something foolish, like spin the engine with the cams disconnected and the chain unsupported.

Related Content

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.