XRL Tires? Pipe?

11 replies to this topic
  • dualsport newbie

Posted February 25, 2005 - 01:21 PM

so i've got the Clarke 4.0 tank, the IMS SMOG kit, front disc guard, skid plate, acerbis tail light, protaper bars.

Next, i would like to go after the exhaust and the tires. what's the right tire for 60/40 dirt/street for my XR650L? who likes what? Dunlop D606???

what about slip on pipes? FMF Q, White Bros E, Big Gun Race??????

After these mods I'll go after the jetting and attempt to put 30,000 miles on my bike!!!!!!!!!!!!

• CrackiN

Posted February 26, 2005 - 04:59 AM

dualsportnewbie...I don't think you can run an aftermarket performance slip on pipe without jetting...Think about doing the pipe and jet kit at the same time...You will also need to take out the restriction in the tube that connects the carb to the head if the XRL has the same insert as the XRR.......For a really cheap low end torque mod, think about going up a few teeth on the rear sprocket....

• XR650L_Dave

Posted February 26, 2005 - 02:45 PM

DSNB, the XRL comes jetted too lean from the factory, rejet for sure if you add the pipe.
The standard-mods have been compiled here:
http://www.4strokes....xr650lcarbmods/
With the stock pipe, and straight gas (not gasohol) the proper jetting is about 55/158 on the pilot/main jets.

I'd call the big pirelli MT21 (the 130 series) about 60% dirt, a little noisy but pretty good. It sticks very well in rock and on pavement, wet or dry.

-Dave

• grreatdog

Posted February 26, 2005 - 06:20 PM

I will second the MT-21's. I have the Maxxis 6006's now but don't have enough miles to pass judgement.

• justicedone

Posted February 26, 2005 - 10:00 PM

You have to replace filter with a high flow dual stage and jet to add a good pipe and run properly. I am saving some beans to do this myself. Gonna get the jet/dyno kit from BajaDesigns and leaning towards a FMF Q model or Big Gun Quiet to be able to ride anywhere in Ca and not be stopped by 96db park ranger limits.

• tullymars

Posted February 27, 2005 - 05:47 PM

I love the M21's...makes me look like a good rider :) As far as a pipe,man I would stay stock,open up the airbox,raise yur needle,cut the tab of the pilot screw...you know the drill,larger jets all that,remember...loud pipes risk rights!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • HondaXR650L

Posted February 27, 2005 - 11:26 PM

White Bros E. Oh Yeah. :) Nothing on the road around here sounds like it. Get it and you will love it.

• HondaXR650R

Posted February 28, 2005 - 10:57 AM

White Bros E. Oh Yeah. :) Nothing on the road around here sounds like it. Get it and you will love it.

No s#!t!!! Roy's uncorked XR650L with Dynojet kit and White Brothers E-Series exhaust is the best sounding bike I've ever heard in my life! Definitely the epitomy sound of a thumper! :D :) :p :D

• dualsport newbie

Posted March 01, 2005 - 02:25 PM

What is the difference between the R and P versions of the Pirelli MT-21 tires? Which one do I want the R or the P?

• jlpskydive

Posted March 01, 2005 - 04:50 PM

You have to replace filter with a high flow dual stage and jet to add a good pipe and run properly. I am saving some beans to do this myself. Gonna get the jet/dyno kit from BajaDesigns and leaning towards a FMF Q model or Big Gun Quiet to be able to ride anywhere in Ca and not be stopped by 96db park ranger limits.

Do the pipe, jet and filter all at the same time. You'll be happy you did. :) if not Jet FIRST.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted March 02, 2005 - 10:10 AM

I've never noticed there were 2 versions of the MT21- one may be softer than the other.

Dave

• dualsport newbie

Posted March 03, 2005 - 12:02 PM

It looks like the P and R models are rated at different speeds. One of them is for like 106mph and the other is like 93mph. They are the same price, so I'm not sure what the advantage is for the lower speed rated tire.

What size do I want for my XR650L?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.